How to make sure a file is "Print Ready" any interest?

I’ve worked in commercial printing for ten years and I find that most graphic designers don’t know what is required of a print file. Apparently it’s not always taught in school for graphic design.

Last week I wrote up a quick “How-to” that I could send to graphic designers to make my life a little easier. I got some good feedback from several designers on reddit, so I thought this is a class I can teach!

If there’s anything I’m an expert in, its this.
I would cover:

• the things you need to keep in mind before creating a file destined for print

• different printing processes you will encounter, pros & cons of one process vs. another (digital, offset, screen, sublimation)

• how to fix a file that is NOT print ready (most common mistakes)

• What is Spot Color and how is it different from Process Color (what the hell is a PMS color?!)

• raster vs. vector - do I REALLY need 100 DPI?

• I could even go into what it means to be “cut ready” anyone who has used the vinyl cutter or laser you probably know what this is, but I could talk about how to optimize paths or whatever.

So is there any interest in a class like this?
At first I thought that sending a file to a printer isn’t very DIY, but if at some point you need more than a few copies, or if you need better quality than the DMS copier can provide it’s better to send it out.

2 Likes

RGB versus CMYK color gamuts