How to flatten a strip of brass

I have a decorative strip of what looks like brass from a dinner table that got caught on something and pulled up and bent. Any ideas on how to flatten it?
Reattachment ideas welcome as well.
I posted on jewelry/small metals as well.
Thank you in advance.

There is a metal press in the blacksmith area. Not sure about the specifics, e.g. if heating first is advisable, if so how long and how hot, as well as making sure to use the right touch on the press. But it definitely would flatten it, and maybe then some.

@raceman1590 ?

You can probably use to press to flatten that fully or a post vice that is in there. Either one would do. Brass is soft enough to flatten with no heat. Also if you need to clean it or polish it make sure to do that in jewelry we don’t mix well with anything containing zinc.

@Mrholthaus Would English wheel flatten this piece?

They came by today. I think they used the rolling mill in jewelry, with a bit of pounding with the rawhide mallet. Or maybe it was just pounding with the mallet…

1 Like

I have a strip of what looks like brass from a dinner table that got caught on something and bent. I took it off the table to try to flatten it. What is the best way to do it?
Any suggestions how to adhere it to the table? Contact cement maybe?

1 Like

Oddball thought here with no idea whether it will work.

You might start with a soft mallet on a soft base (delrin). We probably have something suitable in jewelry.

After that, can you put it through the rolling mill (with very light tension) to work out the kink(s) - so you have a uniform but curled piece of brass? And then put it through in the opposite direction to work out the curl?

1 Like

The risk with almost any straightening technique is that you will stretch it if you are not very careful and skilled.

If you are not worried and stretching I’d roll it over rollers in opposite directions and then work the resulting bow out over those same rollers.

3 Likes

It’s brass. I agree with rich. I also think you can take a rolling pin and smooth it out

2 Likes

Rolling mill and rawhide mallet in jewelry would prolly work well. The press in black smith is really for rough work and the forge. It would probably mar/scratch/mark up that brass.

1 Like