(How-To) Create a custom 3D-Printed leather tooling stamp

I have been working on a simple method for making custom 3d printed leather stamps. Thank you to @Lordrook and @j801496 for pushing me in this direction. I’ve gotten mixed, but generally positive results. Here is the process I used and my results.

First, get your image. It should be a monochrome image with hard edges and as few gradients as possible. If you need to edit it to be all black and white, then now’s the time to do that. When you’ve got the image cleaned up, import it into Inkscape.

Once you’re in Inkscape, trace the image to get a vector file. Save this file as a .svg
03-inkscape-trace

Open Fusion360 and import the SVG to the XY axis. It is possible to do this in Blender as well, but the process is more complex and difficult to explain simply.
Press E to open the Extrude menu. Select all of the parts you want pressed into the leather and extrude them. I find that 2-3mm is enough for this. If you want to set the taper angle to make the pressure focused on the center, now’s your chance.

Now to create the base. Under the Create menu, make a cylinder (or square or whatever shape you need) big enough to cover the new model. This should be fairly thick because it will be under a lot of pressure. I’ve had good results with 3mm. Position cylinder directly under the model so that it’s flush to the bottom.

WITH THE BASE SELECTED, select Combine from the Modify menu. You should have “1 Selected” under the Target Body. Click Select under Tool Bodies and select ALL of the other bodies. You should have something similar to this.

Save the model and export it as an STL. Now you should be ready to proceed with a normal 3D print.

And that’s all there is to it! When you’re pressing this stamp into the leather, I don’t think it’s possible to put it under too much pressure. For the example logo, I put it under as much pressure as I could in a c-clamp and there were still a couple of areas that could have been better defined. It might be worth it to maximize the number of thin lines and sharp edges to concentrate the pressure. Smaller stamps seem to work better, but I’m curious to find out if making very large stamps is feasible.

10 Likes

picsvg.com is what I use to convert my images to SVG. Works quite well, lightweight, no need to install anything, and no spammy ads or sign ups required.

Additionally a similar process is possible in Blender: import the SVG, convert to mesh, extrude, boolean modifier to stick it onto a cylinder.

What I am most curious about is the process after the design is finished. Are you printing ABS, PLA, etc? Also when doing the press, do you wet the leather? Heat it? Obviously you clamp it, but I assume you back it with a piece of metal or something?

1 Like

Yeah, i mentioned it is possible to do in blender, but in my experience the process is a bit more fiddly and i wanted to get the process across as simply as possible.

I am printing with ABS and backing it with wood. Use vegetable tanned lather and saturate it with water, being careful not to mark it with your fingernails. Then clamp it down. For larger surface areas, put the stamp under the highest pressure you can. I’m going to try making a 4"x6" stamp here soon and I’m considering putting it in a vice.

Yes, 3D Printed embossers work great! I like Solidworks for my design CAD but that’s because I know Solidworks better than any other CAD so it’s just a preference. Because it take a long time to 3D

print these, I had to buy my own 3D printer but luckily, PLA works as well as ABS so I didn’t have to use the Makerspace printers.After printing the embosser, I used a Book Press with added clamps to create a rather large embossed leather piece. Still, I am more than happy with the results.

5 Likes

Nice Job!

Also just FYI, if you use ABS and then give it an acetone bath it will smooth out your print lines and get a smooth stamp.

2 Likes