How the PC video game Myst(one of the very first) came about

Almost the beginning, it not, of PC video games as we know them.

Cyan Worlds co-founder Rand Miller goes behind the scenes of the development of one of the best selling PC games of all time, Myst. The HyperCard-developed title ran into some snags when trying to run on the CD-ROM format. "I had a really powerful Mac, with a lot of memory and a lot of hard

1 Like

Oh wow…! This brings back a ton of memories. At the time that Myst took off and got so big we were developing a video game that was eventually sold to Activision called “Papparazi! Adventures in Tinseltown” that was CD-ROM based. I’d figured out how to capture, access, and manipulate frames from Quicktime videos (version 1.0, no less!) using Macromedia Director’s Lingo. Everybody wanted to be the next Myst at the time.

This was back when CD writers were brand new and a single speed machine cost $2500 and each blank CD was $25. Made a LOT of very expensive coasters because they weren’t very reliable at all.

Man, but that was a LOOOONG time ago… 1994 or 1995, I think. Interesting experience!

DD

2 Likes

A good 10 years on from the origins of PC games with graphics, sounds, cinematics - albeit one of the earliest titles with the likes of cutscenes and photorealistic graphics, and certainly one of the most commercially successful. More like >15 if we include the likes of text-based adventure games such as Zork.

1 Like

I never got more than one minute into Myst. I was never much for games back in the day, though did flunk some college classes because of one of the Kings Quest games.

It seems a remastered version compatible with modern computers is available for $5.99 on Steam…. I might have to do it.

1 Like

Agreed, titles like Zork, then games like Wolfenstein came around a decade earlier than Myst. But in terms of visual rendering, Myst was one of the first of it’s kind. Problem is, I got bored with Myst fairly quickly.

2 Likes

Having but seen Myst played a few times, I concluded that it was less video game and more an interactive story game.

1 Like

That’s right.

Yes…it was less a video game (as then understood) and more of an immersive experience. I liked it a lot, and have played through it a couple of times over the years. There are a few sequels and a prequel (I think) as well, not all from the same original creators and not all as well done (depending on one’s expectations and preferences for this kind of thing).

I remember Doom & Wolfenstein. I never got to play it myself but I watched my friend play it as a kid. We did not get a computer at all, my mom hated them. She was/is a Mac person. She did graphic design for a living for almost 40 years.

Ultima Underworld was the 1st successful non forced 90 degree “immersed” game. Back then we called it 3d. It’s was a breakthrough compared to the SSI games like Eye of the beholder, which was 90 degree [north east west south]

Where Carmack really broke through was speed. I played the wolfenstein beta when it was new, and it was SO fast on a 386 while utlima crawled.

1 Like

I think Myst was the first game that I really lost myself in. Like look up and it’s 6 hours later and you’re just like ‘how? What? It’s only been 30 minutes surely!’

1 Like

I assume the yootoobs spit this into everyone’s feed, too, and I found this much more interesting from a tech perspective.
Never liked to play either game, and enjoyed these videos much more than either of them.

Edited to add: ditto this one

then I quite watching b/c I have stuff to do and no idea how many of these videos are on this channel…

2 Likes

There’s also a new VR Myst game out now that I’m sure is stunning.

I too am not really much of a game player. I’ve written and helped build several of them, but to me the process of playing them is indistinguishable from what I know as ‘work’. And anytime I have to expend that much time and effort… well, I gots to get paid for it. :grin:

DD

Working for an ISP, for me it’s listening to people go on about their complex home network with servers, internal routers, complex VLAN arrangements, multiple forms of connectivity well beyond what even the work from home crowd benefits from. To the extent that entering the many variants of conf t into a piece of networking hardware is exciting I can do that on the clock.

2 Likes