How soon can a fresh member use the tablesaw, assuming he knows how?

I just posted in the general section, but I wanted to reach the woodshop also so pardon the redundancy.

I took a tour a year ago when it was a bad time to get information. I think I’d like to join asap and start using the woodworking tools immediately to finish a project with a fast approaching deadline. My questions:

1. What is the rip capacity of the tablesaw?
  2. I already know how to use the tablesaw, planer, and all of the tools I would need. (I work in a cabinet shop.) How soon after I sign up online can I start using them? I remember there is a key fab system to turn on machines but I do not recall the details. I assume I “test out” and prove to a higher-level member I can and they grant me access?
  3. I’d like to store my project for 2 weeks or less. It’s about 20 small display cabinets for a friend’s booth. The overall footprint is not very large, maybe like a single car parking space. How does that work?

Thank you in advance!

1. I’m not a heavy woodshop user, so I can’t assist here.

2. Officially, to use any of the woodshop tools, you will be required to take our basic woodshop class. The reason for this isn’t that we don’t believe you know how to use the tools, but because there are rules for using the tools that you might not realize. In your shop, you do things one way, but we have another way that you might not like/understand/realize/agree with, that we will need to go over with you before you are turned loose. That said, reach out to the current woodshop chair to see if they’re willing to work with you.

3. Currently DMS storage is shut down. This is due to both Covid as well as volunteer staffing issues. Our storage space is VERY limited, even when it is up and running and a ‘car’ sized storage space is very large for our operation (not saying that it’s out of the question, but that’s a lot of space). We have a few hundred square feet of pallet racking space that is designated to member projects, so this may be a challenge to accommodate, even in the best of times. Note that most of the large gear that looks ‘stored’ is actually gear that is ‘owned’ by a committee.

3 Likes

Here are the woodshop tools (information not all necessarily current but I can vouch for the two table saws):

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Tools#Woodshop

Manuals there, or available on internet, will answer most of your questions regarding the various capacities and capabilities and etc. in which you may be interested.

1 Like

The fences on both saws can definitely accommodate 48", and might make it to 60".

1 Like

You can get a 5x10 storage space literally right across the street down a little from the 7/11 for pretty cheap, that’s the best solution for storage I have found. They do lock the gate at 9 which is somewhat inconvenient for me but other than that it’s worked out pretty nicely

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have no issues taking the required courses. Storage is a minor concern and I appreciate hearing there is a storage place across the street.

When is the next one for the tablesaw?
Is there a walkthrough for signing up? I thought I skimmed an email that says I attend a Saturday orientation to get a key. If there is a course BEFORE orientation but after I sign up online, would I be allowed to take it? (Sorry i am on a time crunch)
Alternatively, how soon can I get an orientation and key? Does it have to be on a Saturday?

I’ll spend some time looking at replies and the info sent to me today. Thank you kind strangers.

So orientation is basically a hello, and all instructions can be found online in the “new member “ section of our Wikipedia, as far as keys, If they’re in the same place as they used to be you can get yours anytime as long as membership is active, instructions are on the wiki to activate it
And classes, @IanLee is the guy to message in regards to that, there are others but he’s the only one I know for sure who’s a teacher

Minor correction. It’s apparently across the street from the 7-11. 7-11 is on the northeast corner of Valwood and IH35, so it’s probably about a mile away.

2 Likes

3rd turn after the light, if you get a space make sure you turn in cause it’s super easy to miss and you have to loop around the high way to get back which is a whole 5 minute drive where you get to spend the entirety consciously aware of how dumb a move you just made to miss it lol