How much interest in RFID injected microchips?

How many members would be interested in getting an RFID microchip to replace your key fob or card? If there is enough interest to warrant it, I can order 25 of them and get the price down to where we can let members have them for $12 each… maybe less.

One of our members, who works at a Tattoo shop and has done these before, has said that he will implant these for members. He would do this during a low cost workshop rather than one-on-one, thus keeping the cost down for DMS members.

micro-chip

rfid-xray

My primary concern being DMS switching away from our RFID protocol to something else lol

2 Likes

It would be a royal PITA to switch to a different protocol with ~1600 RFID’s already issued, so I don’t see that happening easily… but if it does, then removing the microchips isn’t terribly difficult, they are implanted just below the skin.

2 Likes

I am.
Unnecessary and usless extra characters.

1 Like

Fun fact! The T5577 chips that were implanted in the past can be reprogrammed to be HID RFID chips!
I have a handheld device that can do this, if anyone wants their work badge (usually HID, but not always) cloned into their hand :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dangerous Things has a programmable microchip like the one @bscharff mentioned for $57. Those are not the ones that I’ve found for $10-12.

1 Like

Dropping in to say that having a chip is wonderful, being able to eliminate fobs from my keychain was worth it alone. Add to that always having your access on you, being able to more easily navigate doors with arm loads of stuff and equipping more of your life with rfid readers and it’s win all around.

(edit: My chip is from Dangerous Things and was surgeon-placed (my surgeon was giddily happy about the idea and was down for it during a post-op), ymmv.)

4 Likes

I’d be interested in the T5577 chip. Not trying to be cheap when putting it in my body.

4 Likes

Here are some faq’s about them notably we use 125khz cards.

1 Like

Yep, the one that I linked to…

I would be very interested in this. Such a hassle to remember to pull out my wallet all the time. :smiley:

I would interested as well if this is still going on?
As far as the chips go I think I’d lean towards getting a more functional chip so it’d be more useful down the road and all, but no matter what it’d have to work on our system first.

I also have a chip implanted and it has been super convenient. If asked, I recommend getting one. I’ll echo my agreement to the advantages previously listed. I also like the convenience of not having to dig in my pocket for a fob or wallet card or worry about safety (tear away) with hands free options like lanyards and wrist bands. For me, it has been a great decision.

My chip is from Dangerous Things and was inserted by a local surgeon. She insisted on loading the entire area with lidocaine before injecting the chip, not that I was complaining! If you have the option, say yes to a lidocaine injection.

1 Like

How long ago did you have this done? Also, if you don’t mind my asking, how much did the surgeon charge?

Do you find that you have to mash your hand to the reader, or can you wave it within an inch or two and it works? Any awkwardness in how you place your hand near the reader? I guess what I’m getting at is do you have to back your hand up to the reader and wave your hand awkwardly, or can you give the reader a high-five? You know what I mean :slight_smile:

Also interested in @cmcooper0’s experience!

Hrm, I think around June. My surgeon did it for free because he’s cool and I was already in office to have some stitches out. To get a read I just need to be within an inch or two away from the reader, it’s a pretty comfortable angle of approach with the back-of-hand webbing between thumb and forefinger. I can’t wave vaguely, but it’s a very easy non-touching ‘bump’ movement and quite fast. If you see me around (I’ll be at the next board mtg), grab me and I can show you.

My one rec would be to err on the side of caution with regards to disinfecting before install and then keep it sealed and dry after until healed over. Read the paperwork and listen to your body mod expert/doc/surgeon. Implant infections are tricky to kick apparently.

(Edit: Also really think through which hand you want it in. I went right because I tend to open doors with my right hand and thus usually carry things in my left. But if I was going to also be using it at a drive up gate, I would have gone left. Of course, you could always get two!)

I had my chip installed in early June. I have to get pretty close but don’t have to actually touch to get the readers to acknowledge it (a few cm maybe?). I do need to twist my hand or arm some to position it right - the chip needs to align with the reader - and sometimes that takes a bit, especially if I haven’t been at the space for a little while. It’s still really fast, even if I misalign it at first. The front door gives me the most problems because the angle I use is weird (as in sometimes I have to try twice to get it to read). I keep meaning to change that, but the reader is so fast I haven’t bothered.

I’ll be up at the space tomorrow night and Friday night. I’ll be happy to show you how it works on various readers around the space.

My surgeon is a good friend of mine and did the implant free. She thought it was pretty awesome and will implant any DMS member that is interested. She will also do the flex transponders, but that is a separate conversation you will have to have with her on pricing, location, follow-ups, etc.

As for cost, it’ll depend on if you have insurance or not. It’ll be treated as a office visit and billed to your insurance. So, whatever your copay for an office visit with her is. If you don’t have insurance, I believe she will charge a flat $100 which includes the lidocaine. She does ask that the chip packaging be sealed/unbroken when you bring it in. Her office is 10 mins from DMS. PM me and I’ll provide contact information.

2 Likes

I’ve been in contact with Dangerous Things and am in the process of getting a discount setup for their xEM product that is compatible with our RFID system.

The discount is likely to be in excess of 50%, so possibly as cheap as $25 in quantity.

One of our members, Dan Q. has graciously agreed to implant DMS members. He even tested one of the cheap RFID chips on himself in a failed experiment with the $12 version from a different vendor.

If things go well, we could possibly have an implant event on the calendar in December.

6 Likes

I set up the original RFID implant class and had a local body modification guy do it (Ryan Mills, not sure if he’s on here). It went very well. Mine still works great and I barely notice I have it (I honestly forget about it sometimes). I wouldn’t even try any other tags but the ones from Dangerous Things. We’ve even had members on the local news and Dallas Observer about our implants.

I want to get the flexNT tag which is a flexible antenna NFC tag usually have to have a small incision and separate the skin (definitely more painful that I want) but it has excellent read range for a phone and stores like about 800bytes of data.

I’m holding off until I can get a Neuromancer jack!

3 Likes

If you want to minimize the pain from getting the flexNT, I know a surgeon who will do it. She’ll numb the area so it won’t hurt while being placed. Message me if you want information.