How much interest do we have in a Sewing and/or quilting 101 course(s)?

I’m very much self-taught when it comes to sewing, but I would be more than willing to pass on the knowledge I have.

2 Likes

Hopefully there’s some sewing 101 classes soon as I will be doing some leather on the sewing machine classes and I will have a prerequisite that folks need to know how to safely use the Machines first.

I bet there would be interest in making t-shirt quilts.

1 Like

FWIW, we bought a couple Shape Cut rulers and we also bought a 1/4" foot for each of the Janome’s. Both of those should help with quilt piecing projects.

5 Likes

I am interested in basic sewing courses.

Beth teaches some basic sewing classes

Is there any thing specific that you are interested in making

It is always hard to figure out what will attract folks

interested. After June.

JR

Also interested. Tried to make the last few a while back but never could work out the time.

Ill put a class up tonight

6 Likes

Nothing specific, but I think a lot of people are hesitant to use the sewing area because it says that they require training, but there’s not a lot of sewing classes on the events calendar for them to get trained. Its mostly one-on-one from what I’m told.

I was thinking of teaching a basic quilting course, but if I do that I’d like to make the basic sewing course a prerequisite so that we’re not teaching people how to use the machines at the same time.

2 Likes

Agree! I taught a basic quilt-piecing class. I made it a prerequisite that people either had the basic sewing machine course or brought their own machine. The course took longer than I had planned and if we had covered sewing machine usage it would have been even longer.

1 Like

Exactly! I was thinking of starting small, like a place-mat or a throw-pillow case, that could be accomplished in a few hours so that we could go through maybe fabric choice and prep (maybe done ahead of time), cutting, piecing, sandwiching, quilting, and binding (if necessary).

Regarding the sewing class, I have spoken with at least two members while at the space who were interested in learning to sew for cosplay purposes and basic garment altering (hems).

We made one quilt square. It took about 4 hours. We talked about fabric choice and prep, everyone did some cutting (we shared the pieces), and did the piecing. It was all straight strip cutting and piecing.

(Two blocks are shown in the image. They are identical components assembled differently. Everyone made one of these blocks, using black/green fabric.)

2 Likes

Wow, I may be seriously underestimating how much time a quilting course would take. It may be better in a two-part class, then.

Edit: It may be better to do basting and binding in a separate class.

That’s the reason I told you. The experience level in our class varied from super-experienced sewist to someone who had just taken the sewing-machine-intro class. But you have to plan for that.

We talked about batting, sandwich, and a tiny bit about tieing vs. quilting but I did not attempt to do those parts in the class.

I also required that everyone have their sewing machine set-up and ready to use by the start time of the class. That eliminated another 15 minutes.

We used the entire CA studio. We used the tall table with cutting mats, rulers, rotary cutters. We used two irons and ironing board. We had five sewing machines set up.

1 Like

Would it be unreasonable to hold it in the interactive classroom, maybe? That way we’re not blocking up CA for half a day?

Interactive would work fine. Just be prepared to haul a lot of stuff in there.

Ok great, I don’t mind that. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn’t a logistical reason other than set-up that I was missing.

1 Like

I would be interested in a quilting class, I did a lot of sewing before I lost a lot of my sight

I was planning o trying some things this summer on my own