Prescription safety glasses

That’s a question that I had wondered about but had not checked until today. Like many people, I pay too much for normal glasses and was afraid to ask. I checked at Sams today and found that pricing is simple.
Cheap safety frames - $40.00
Safety lenses - $40.00
Bifocal - $40.00
Progressive - $40.00
I took the first three options and with Sams Plus membership came out a bit under $100.00. There were other options for coatings,… but this should serve me well.

The frames are black and dorky looking but no one in the shops will ask if I’m wearing safety glasses! This should be much better than trying to wear generic safety glasses over normal glasses.

8 Likes

I paid more then that on the pair I got this week. But they aren’t black and dorky. Or Elvis-style aviator frames either. So there’s that.

1 Like

Better to have eyes than no eyes… My oldest try’s to hide his safety glasses when he wears them & forgets his regular glasses. I have to tell him nobody here cares what his glasses looks like.

1 Like

unless the glasses have side shields, we will still ask. They may be impact resistant, but unless they have side shields, they are NOT safety glasses. we have side shields you can add to glasses available for our users. If (big if) we ever move we will be a lot pickier in the new space. Safety glasses will be required at all times.

1 Like

Also, depends on your eyes. I can see fine but need reading glasses. I buy normal safety glasses and use the plastic inserts I get from Graingers https://www.grainger.com/product/OPTX2020-Clear-Uncoated-Bifocal-Peel-2MU10?searchBar=true&searchQuery=OPTX2020 they also have bifocal safety glasses that are very inexpensive. I prefer these inserts because I also use them in my diving mask and ski goggles.

1 Like

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/rx-eyewear/

This website is great just pickout what you want.

https://originalstradingco.com

Cost a bit more for the frames, but they’re decent looking in a retro way and work well. The Sams Club optometrist on Spring Valley has done prescription lenses in these for both Astrud and I with great results.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. Its interesting that after I started this post I rethought my decision. The earpieces are very wide but come short of side shields. They made a big deal about I could change if I don’t like them. I may check that out. Stay tuned.

I was not aware of us having safety shields available. If they are added to normal glasses, does that meet the test?

I think I paid $20 bucks for mine all in?

2 Likes

My Zenni pair cost about $40 because my eyesight is really bad, but they’re awesome. Especially for the wood shop.

2 Likes

There are eye shields you can just slip on the earpieces. They are just a piece of flexible plastic but apparently they are an approved method.

I just cancelled the Sams order. You are the second Zenni customer here. I will check it out.

2 Likes

I buy all my glasses from them now. I buy the cheap ones by the case and pitch them when they get scratched instead of getting butt hurt. Gotta admit, I love me some China glasses!

1 Like

I also bought mine from Zenni for less than $20. Unfortunately, they didn’t have bifocals, but they were so cheap I bought a near-vision pair and also a distance, tinted pair for outdoors.

I talked to @nicksilva about side shields for regular glasses with impact resistant lenses and decided to purchase the following. Thanks to all for the input!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BH1WFCY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1TWUGM1549ELP&psc=1

1 Like

That’s really annoying - when I asked the folks at Sam’s, they told me they didn’t do safety glasses!

I got mine from Walmart, they ended up being ~$170 IIRC

Zenni has now expanded their offering of Safety Glasses. They have several frames rated ANSI Z87.1 starting at $7. You match them with the Trivex or Polycarb impact resistant lenses. Full side protection is avail - and more that just the shields on the arms.

I just ordered a pair of progressives because I need that intermediate range for the computer and the lathe and other hand crafting. They offer 3 different ranges of progressives. The difference is the field of view at the near range vs distance viewing.

All in, including the anti-fog coating, it was just under $90 for the options I chose.

4 Likes

Those of you that have seen me with my safety glasses, this is where I ordered them from:

This was the type provided to me by McDonnell Douglas and Pratt Whitney. They are true heavy duty safety frames and the side shields are hinged, the type I get are very fine mesh so they breathe. My prescription pair, cost $91. Those of you into photography will note the lens are by Hoya, a good optics company. They aren’t the cheapest but they a heavy duty, scratch resistant and I’ve worn this style and frame since the 1980’s. Mine are clear lenses - in QA we weren’t allowed tinted lenses (if you needed tinted or darkened lenses for lasers or welding/furnace-forges you wore something over them).

I’ll be buying replacement lenses for them soon - just had new Rx last week.

2 Likes

@Photomancer. I was following with you until I added the options I got from Zenni. That is more than a couple of hundred dollars difference. Like Anti-Reflective is standard at Zenni. Trivex is $10 more, the Progressive option is $30-60?