How do I tell if a class on the calendar is for honorarium or not?

Out of curiosity, how do I tell whether a class is for honorarium or not when looking at the calendar? And whether the class PayPal fee going to the space to cover materials?

2 Likes

Thereā€™s probably a better way, but hereā€™s a way you can kludge it. Assuming itā€™s for a class that you are teaching (or taught): go to My Account / Hosting Events, copy the event and look at the honorarium box at the bottom. I checked a couple of mine and it seems to be correct.

And then just cancel and donā€™t actually set up the new event.

Canā€™t help you with the second part of your question ā€¦

1 Like

So ā€“ I have been told that theyā€™ve fixed the calendar so that your committee is being paid the fees that are collected. However, since Iā€™m not looking at any committee monies, I wonā€™t swear to that. Previously, all that just dropped into the General Fund.

1 Like

The use fees are being classed correctly.

2 Likes

I was more asking about classes that have a PayPal fee. Assuming itā€™s over a reasonable cost of the materials, those arenā€™t for honorarium right? Or are their classes where a PayPal collected fee also goes to the committee?

Any monies collected via paypal have no direct tie to DMS. That money goes straight to the instructor. What they do with it will vary per person.

I think you use the Paypal option if you want folks to be able to pay you directly for supplies you bought. OR for classes that are non-honorarium, where the instructor would like to get paid. Iā€™m telling folks that they can pay me at the class if Iā€™m past my official DMS honorarium class limit. Of course, Iā€™ve got my Square if they want to pay by card.

Yeah that makes sense. Really I was just curious if there was a simple way to tell if a class is honorarium or not when looking at potential classes to sign up for. It doesnā€™t really seem like it though (both just say ā€˜eventā€™ I think). No biggie.

Any entry that says event will not be an honorarium class.

If listed as an ā€œEventā€ then it shouldnā€™t be for an honorarium. Only classes may collect an honorarium.

That being said, if itā€™s listed as a class, no way to tell (that I know if) whether itā€™s honorarium or not.

Sometimes I wish there was an indication of that too. Although I can see reasons for/against it. Overall itā€™d be nice occasionally to know that

Like for instance if an honorarium class is close to making, it might push me into going ahead and committing to help out a teacher. Or if a couple different dates scheduled, I could throw my registration toward the one that could use numbers if itā€™s close.

1 Like

Well, if itā€™s a class not-for-honorarium, then itā€™s either free (instructor doesnā€™t expect to get paid), or thereā€™s going to be an explicit stated fee. If itā€™s a material fee, or a skin-in-the-game fee, then youā€™ll pay as you register, because thatā€™s linked to DMS. Instructors who are over their 3 honorarium classes will have to ask you to pay some other way ā€“ Paypal, or Eventbrite, or pay when you show. Although, any of those may be set for an honorarium to go to the Committee as well.

For instance, in the ā€œletā€™s not expand honorariumā€ mood, I donā€™t ask for a personal honorarium for the Hot Process Safety class, but I do make it an honorarium for Metal Shop. I figure if Iā€™m picking and choosing who pays for what, the safety class is only marginally a class, so Iā€™ll forgo personal payment on that one.

This is one of the reasons why I was wondering as well.

1 Like

In this instance, if you charge outside the system, you would not be elgible for an honorarium to a committee of your choosing.

I donā€™t think this is strictly true. Of the instructors that list a PayPal or cash fee, some will say outright itā€™s the cost of the consumables, but others donā€™t so a member wouldnā€™t know if thatā€™s what the requested PayPal is or if itā€™s an ā€œIā€™m over my honorarium so hereā€™s consumables plus my time and expertiseā€ fee. Theyā€™d be making an assumption based on their knowledge of consumables cost. Iā€™m of course assuming the rule is still that if youre requesting honorarium you can other charge the cost of consumables.

Not that it matters much, mostly curious in how to tell if honorarium or not since each calendar item I click on says ā€˜register for this eventā€™.

Edit: spelling

1 Like

Currently there is no way to see this.

2 Likes

Well, like in my case, letā€™s say I teach a wire jewelry class. I always have students bring a few dollars to class to directly reimburse me for supplies.

Thatā€™ll continue regardless because I donā€™t want to crap with PayPal or eventbrite and have minimal problems with no-shows since I added some verbiage to my description and take a fairly hard line with repeat offenders (I keep a list)

But whether I requested honorarium, as far as I know, thatā€™s invisible to the student

As a student, it would sometimes be nice to know for my reasons above in earlier comment. But maybe thereā€™s reasons not to that Iā€™m not thinking of

Priority wise on next updates, Iā€™d MUCH rather have a field that prompts teachers to include contact info. There have been many times before or after a class Iā€™d like to contact an instructor and unless I do some major hoops asking around or happen to know them, it can be challenging