How do I know when/where the local craft/maker fairs are?

Shay I sort of divide shows up into some categories

What you need to do them will vary, A lot of the smaller shows like Farmers market, some churches ans schools You will need a table and something to cover it They tend to be low cost and have folks looking for bargains Many of these ae not juried and you can apply as long as they have space

You have the juried shows that appeal to the local craters and artists More expensive and yo will need more display materials

Then you have the big shows like Deep Ellum, main Street and Cottonwood

I would love to talk to you more about these and I will look for some links for you

I’ve decided I’m going to start with the farmer’s market in East Plano, which has a $35 booth fee. I’m just waiting on my sales permit right now.

I’d still love to pick your brain some time, though!

2 Likes

Here’s a possibility?

2 Likes

Nope. What you get from the Comptroller is a Sales Tax certificate, which is your tax ID for selling. If you’re a sole proprietor, you just do your taxes for income purpose on a Schedule C using your SS#. Capt has a DBA primarily because folks can write him checks to the business name. Not as big a deal as it used to be…

2 Likes

Sales tax ID, you get that certificate as part of that.

Main thing is if you are selling items, you’re supposed to be collecting tax and filing. The comptrollers office has field agents that go to craft shows and can check those certificates (doesn’t have to displayed but must have with…I keep mine under the tray in my money box).

Don’t think this has been mentioned yet:
You need to keep track of WHERE/amount of sales if doing craft shows at various locations because you’ll have report based on location. You’ll need this for filing. There’s charts with codes. It’s easy. But it’ll save a headache if you keep track as you go

For example, I mainly sell at the renfair and sometimes from my house. The renfair is county only so just base state tax (6.25%) since out of city limits. But and transactions from my house are subject to Lewisville taxes. A craft show somewhere would be that city. Internet sales, you charge tax if they’re in same state as you (like I have to charge tax to folks with Texas addresses) but no tax if it’s out of state (until the law changes).

A dba is good for:

1. protecting your business name (to a degree, because it’s location based)
  2. you HAVE to have a current dba to open a business account at a bank

Another general comment…you get going with your business, I think it’s a good idea to have a dedicated business account. Keeps things cleaner between business and personal money, taxes, etc

Nice things, dba is easy and cheap and lasts like ten years I think before needing to renew

Incorporation is another thing some do. Not a requirement. It can protect you from personal liability if there were business related issues arise. But there’s a whole whack of extra things you need to do for the corporate part of things

FWIW, I’ve never done the LLC thing and won’t at this point. Ymmv.

2 Likes

My wife and I have 1 DBA each and we have an LLC we both are part of.

The LLC is good if you’re worried about liabilities. Our small businesses are under DBAs but the rentals are under an LLC.

2 Likes