How do I know when/where the local craft/maker fairs are?

Something to consider: how long are you going to be able to withstand manning a booth before reaching your limit? There are craft show that are one day long and others that are two or three days long. Not to mention move-in/setup and take-down/move-out. Perhaps consider teaming with a fellow maker to share the load?

That said, the Etsy bash suggestion is good. The offerings there eclectic (there probably wouldn’t be a lot of acrylic put painters exhibiting), and they are usually a lot shorter than the big dog festivals, but the first hour or so is usually a jam-packed zoo.

1 Like

You can also set up at some of the “farmers markets” around town, to get a taste of the work involved. The one in our neighborhood is like 5 hours two Saturdays a month, so if you find out you hate it you’re not too far down the road.

3 Likes

I hadn’t considered that at all. That’s a really good idea!

Yeah, I’ve been dancing around doing all of this for a while and I think I need to just do it. I’m just anxious to make sure I do it right.

So, from what I’ve gleaned here I need to:

1. Get a Tax ID. I do that through the comptroller’s website.
  2. Get a sales tax certificate? Is that a separate form?
  3. Get a DBA through the county.

Anything else?

1 Like

Also this, or have a friend/relative work the booth with you so you can have a lunch/bathroom break; or split the cost of gas and booth fees.

1- the tax ID is via the IRS- Here
2- the sales tax permit/cert is through the texas comptroller- Here
3- and yes DBA (while not strictly necessary, it’s handy) is through your local county clerk office, more info Here

Get a square, keep meticulous records, save receipts (including materials, gas, and meal expenses during travel for write offs), you’ll need a cash box (with a few hundo in small bills), and a canopy (some good 10x10 ones on Amazon for less than $100).

I’ve done a few fairs to try my hand at it and found I just don’t sell enough to make it worth it (I’ll stick to Etsy), but I also have the problem of doing too many things instead of focusing on 1 craft like you are doing (which is a big tip for success). I’m hoping you do well with it!

7 Likes

Also keep in mind that once you get this you’ll be required to pay sales taxes to the state quarterly. If you go a year or two with less than I “think” $1k in sales tax collected for the year, there is an option to switch to paying yearly instead. Point is, you’re required to pay sales tax on items sold in TX, whether or not you actually collect tax from the items you sell.

edit: it’s not a huge deal really, but if you don’t pay your quarterly taxes in time, there is a $50 fee for paying late. you get reminder emails from the comptroller so it’s not hard to keep track of it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just finished the application. Its almost as if this whole process is deliberately overwhelming.

2 Likes

One more level of overwhelming: If your hobby-business takes off to the “legit business” level, I’d suggest getting an LLC to protect your personal assets.

2 Likes

You will need a dba if you eventually open a business bank acct.

Ditto, need tax ID (can also be useful for whole supply access or some stores will have discounts/no resale tax). BE SURE to keep tax man happy. Not hard, but take it seriously. File on time. Have certificate with you st shows (the comptrollers office has field agents that randomly check shows, they’ve started cracking down more last few years).

Recommend square for cc. Need the reader or combo of them that can take chipped and nonchip (yes still around) cards. BE AWARE the chip readers need charging. Easy to forget. Square can do offline transaction if no signal. I’m sure others can but I’m familiar with square.

Re finding local fairs

There’s groups on fb that vendors frequent to find fairs. Can also find feedback on fairs, learn what to look for. What to avoid. There’s also groups dedicated to setting tents/displays for good idea

The level and cost of craft show…there are several types/costs. Usually your expected display setup will have to be fancier for the bigger money ones. It’s crazy sometimes. And it takes awhile to see what type of setting your things sell best in.

My wire jewelry, I can’t give it away at a country craft show, but do well at artsy/edgier craft shows. Where I’ve done best for my stuff, I’m starting my 30th year with my shop at Scarborough in a few days. My stuff has evolved for that environment and I know my customers and tastes well. It works.

Best suggestion is to bootstrap up with smaller local shows and build/tweak setup, what sells well. Grow. Evolve.

A fb biz page is helpful. I don’t focus personally on selling off mine (although do occasionally) but more use as a mini blog. A peek behind the scenes. I like to follow other artists with silmilar type feeds.

The main value it has to me is a sounding board where I can stay in touch (and in mind) with customers, get feedback on new designs, announce the occasional special promotion, etc.

Another thing is timing. You likely have missed deadlines for most spring shows (April and May are best shows) BUT you should attend as many as you can for reconnaissance. Talk to vendors. And they WILL talk :slight_smile: Pay attention to what sells where. Make notes. Get ideas on your setup.

Summer generally sucks for craft shows

But summer is when you need to be applying for fall stuff

Be sure to do reconnaissance at fall show too

@Cairenn_Day would be an awesome resource to pick her brain on local shows because her and Sue Rogers actively do many of them around here and she’d be a wealth of knowledge

I mainly just do the renfair these days. I used to do many more shows, galleries, and my folks did shows growing up, so I can speak to selling/logistics. But Cairenn and Sue are gonna be in the know in good local shows they do and how to find more

6 Likes

@BarkingChicken (sorry I don’t know why this is replying to you Steve-o) You know the mall in Lewisville (music center mall) does monthly?? art walk @Fred_Gardner has done it and also my Facebook friend Karen. People setup a table and sell. I know little to no information about this

1 Like

This screams of a fantastic class. Would you consider writing up some slides?

1 Like

That might be an idea for the future. Hm. Will consider. We have quite a few SME to provide input. Could be a good collaboration.

I can’t do anything until this summer though. Remember the renfair I still do? Yeah. Starts in a few days. My life (and free time) beyond it comes to a screeching halt this time of year, March through mid-June.

quick google for dfw craft fairs. you can expand to include all texas and national fairs.
keep in mind that some larger shows are expensive, juried and tough to get into.

dfwcraftshows.com/

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s another good point.

You will want to make some nice quality photos of your product, and also of your setup, like counters and full display/tent. You’ll need those to apply for shows where you need to jury in.

And ones that you don’t need to jury in…you’re likely gonna be up against MLM, buy-sell, etc. Some folks/products do ok with the right product/show, but generally it’s a huge challenge for handmade folks to command reasonable prices when competing with buy-sell. For my stuff, I didn’t even look at a show that didn’t jury because the customers expected dirt cheap prices and didn’t care about artist-made

Shay I sort of divide shows up into some categories

What you need to do them will vary, A lot of the smaller shows like Farmers market, some churches ans schools You will need a table and something to cover it They tend to be low cost and have folks looking for bargains Many of these ae not juried and you can apply as long as they have space

You have the juried shows that appeal to the local craters and artists More expensive and yo will need more display materials

Then you have the big shows like Deep Ellum, main Street and Cottonwood

I would love to talk to you more about these and I will look for some links for you

I’ve decided I’m going to start with the farmer’s market in East Plano, which has a $35 booth fee. I’m just waiting on my sales permit right now.

I’d still love to pick your brain some time, though!

2 Likes

Here’s a possibility?

2 Likes

Nope. What you get from the Comptroller is a Sales Tax certificate, which is your tax ID for selling. If you’re a sole proprietor, you just do your taxes for income purpose on a Schedule C using your SS#. Capt has a DBA primarily because folks can write him checks to the business name. Not as big a deal as it used to be…

2 Likes

Sales tax ID, you get that certificate as part of that.

Main thing is if you are selling items, you’re supposed to be collecting tax and filing. The comptrollers office has field agents that go to craft shows and can check those certificates (doesn’t have to displayed but must have with…I keep mine under the tray in my money box).

Don’t think this has been mentioned yet:
You need to keep track of WHERE/amount of sales if doing craft shows at various locations because you’ll have report based on location. You’ll need this for filing. There’s charts with codes. It’s easy. But it’ll save a headache if you keep track as you go

For example, I mainly sell at the renfair and sometimes from my house. The renfair is county only so just base state tax (6.25%) since out of city limits. But and transactions from my house are subject to Lewisville taxes. A craft show somewhere would be that city. Internet sales, you charge tax if they’re in same state as you (like I have to charge tax to folks with Texas addresses) but no tax if it’s out of state (until the law changes).

A dba is good for:

1. protecting your business name (to a degree, because it’s location based)
  2. you HAVE to have a current dba to open a business account at a bank

Another general comment…you get going with your business, I think it’s a good idea to have a dedicated business account. Keeps things cleaner between business and personal money, taxes, etc

Nice things, dba is easy and cheap and lasts like ten years I think before needing to renew

Incorporation is another thing some do. Not a requirement. It can protect you from personal liability if there were business related issues arise. But there’s a whole whack of extra things you need to do for the corporate part of things

FWIW, I’ve never done the LLC thing and won’t at this point. Ymmv.

2 Likes

My wife and I have 1 DBA each and we have an LLC we both are part of.

The LLC is good if you’re worried about liabilities. Our small businesses are under DBAs but the rentals are under an LLC.

2 Likes