How do I dull metal tape measures?

I have a huge quantity of dead tape measures. Probably 25+. Various states of failure.

I have the idea of making trivots and other things from them. Or possibly wall art.

My concern is the cut pieces are sharp. Not razor sharp and good enough to hurt if someone bumps against one.

Is there some simple effective way to dull the sharp edges of the ends?

Autocorrect = still

How small pieces? If small enough use vibratory tumbler if not concerned about scuffing other surfaces.

If you have pieces of the 1" wide kind that are a bit over 1m in lenght, they’re useful for making ham radio antennas. Good for RF fox hunting. They flex easily to go thru bushes and other obstacles.

Small 1” scotch bright wheel on a drill or die grinder.
Or the roloc discs work well too. Harbor freight has a cheap “version” of these.

They’ll round and smooth the edges nicely.

Oh my god you can make so many slap bracelets.

9 Likes

This idea right here people. gold.

2 Likes

Wow - not what you asked, but you can make coin purses that snap shut using those.

It might be a fun leather project.

5 Likes

Another great idea!..

1 Like

Wow! I think I just figured out what I need to make from the piece of triaxial weaving I’ve been meaning to try …

4 Likes

I can give you some to play with. I think I will have an almost endless supply.

2 Likes

Do you have a bin? I will be there tonight and can bring some up to drop off.

Can you please bring me about 18" too? Pretty please?

The real question is why do you have so many dead tape measures? A small diamond file or probably even a nail file would be the easiest I think without tearing up your fingers on a scotch Brite wheel because your having to support the piece so close. Or do it the maker way make a base for a jig on the haas, weld a right angle of tubing on it, then multicam a piece of plywood into a trough to slide the pieces through and make leather strap to hold the plywood down with the dms logo lasered on it

I dig the snappy bag idea!

you can also use dead hack saw blades as corset boning.

1 Like

I do. It says Webdevel on it, and has a green cthulhu sticker. Usually it’s the shelf by the drinks fridge on the front. thanks!

Could they be woven, sort of like kids do with construction paper
then sandwich the ends between wood

If you don’t care about looks and just want a quick fix: wrap it in tape?

In reality even though its “dull”, its not really dull.

I will hook you up Chris.

1 Like

Ooooh, can I have a pinch of dead tape measure too?? Pretty please? :slight_smile: I’ve been wanting to make a snappy leather pouch and hadn’t gotten around to investigating the mechanism.

Thanks @John_Marlow for that link! I use one to keep earbuds in, works great, and need another but it’s been bugging me to think about buying instead of making it.

And @Webdevel @Lordrook that’d be an awesome class and a great use for that large bin of soft leather scraps on top of the cabinet

2 Likes