Hot Process Safety Class - Schedule Poll

Considering I got regular complaints about this class not being available, and the low turnout at the last two classes (4-5 students out of 15 slots, and some no-shows), i’m putting a poll here to determine when people would like to see this class most.

Note this is a poll around when I can teach this class; other instructors may have differing availability

Pick 3 slots that work for you.

• Monday 6-9 pm
  • Monday 9-12 pm
  • Tuesday 6-9 pm
  • Tuesday 9-12 pm
  • Wednesday 6-9 pm
  • Wednesday 9-12 pm
  • Thursday 6-9 pm
  • Thursday 9-12 pm
  • Friday 6-9 pm
  • Friday 9-12 pm
  • Saturday 9am-12pm
  • Saturday 12pm-5pm
  • Saturday 5pm-9pm
  • Saturday 9pm-12pm
  • Sunday 9am-12pm
  • Sunday 12pm-5pm
  • Sunday 5pm-9pm
  • Sunday 9pm-12pm

0 voters

2 Likes

Friday 6-9

I read that as Friday Jun 9. I assume that should be “Friday 6pm-9pm”. (ditto for the other similar ones)

added emphasis, but yes pm classes

Edit: I just re-wrote the options; you’d have to vote again.

Come on everyone. People keep complaining they can’t take the class. Additionally if you can do multiple times then select up to 3 options

Right now I am trained on the Dynatorch, the powder coating oven, and the wet blasting cabinet. Do I need to take this class?

Only if you are going to take a welding class.

New Dynatorch trainees will need this class. Existing Dynatorch users do not

New welders need this class. Existing welders do not.

It’s a breakout of the training that had previously been built into the classes, allowing for more students, more detail, and shorter machine side classes meaning we can have more students moved through in the same amount of time (i.e. 2* 1.5 hour welding classes with six students each since the safety is separate, rather than one class of six). Most welding teachers can’t use the bay for more than a few hours due to the heat and labor

2 Likes

Will there ever be a welding class?

There have been classes albeit few. We don’t have enough teachers. Seriously not enough.

We do squeeze in a few ad hoc trainings during committee meetings for those who volunteer during the cleanup and they often weld whatever new shelving etc is needed as part of that ad hoc class

1 Like

What would you consider a welding class??

Umm welding together small pieces of metal. @meanbaby and I just need to learn for some small projects.

Have you taken the hot work safety class?

I will be taking it this Wednesday :slight_smile:

when it is over, ask your instructor to check you out on the welding machines. He can show you how to turn it on and off and set amperage/ wire speed.

No, this is not how we do things

The after class checkout is only for those that already know how to run the machines and prior welding experience.
It is not a substitute for a welding class for those who need it.

My bad. Who can teach this and is there a syllabus for the class?

“Welding class” can cover a lot of territory, do you have standards for such classes??

Yes we do.

Right now there are few teachers. The most active is @malcolmputer

We seriously need more teachers.

In general, it goes over the process of how welding works, prepping material, choosing amperage/voltage/etc, operation of the machine, identifying common problems, cleanup / stowing the machine, and techniques on drawing a bead.

1 Like

Is this the only welding class? does it discuss all processes ? is there a course outline or is this a “wing it” kind of a situation??

This is the only way we teach welding.

No; there is a separate class per machine.

We do a train the trainers method through shadowing of classes to see how we do things.

1 Like

please check messages.