Hot foil press equipment

Any plans/discussions about get hot foil press equipment for things like this:

I’ve wanted to do foil printing for years. This would be awesome to have at DMS, but I’m not signing up to teach. Sorry

well now - I have two Kingley hot stamp embossing machines. I might be willing to donate one. Fonts and spacers and foil (I have some extra) would be the things needed, Great for embossing bibles, wallets, paper, etc. Would CA want to take ownership of yet another relic?

4 Likes

I’d be willing to buy one off you if you would show me how to use it.

@uglyknees this is your call

CMMMMMMMMMMMMM let’s research the costs of all the stuff. IT’s interesting for sure.

How many people would be into using it?

3 Likes

:raised_hand:

although they are long out of date, complete systems are $500+ these days. Foil is easy to find. A box of a font pop up all the time on ebay but run about $100 for a set. some people go nuts collecting boxes of fonts. Only a few really good ones seem to be all you really need. Beyond that, they are easy to use. I use to emboss bibles with mine. It’s all in the temperature control and how long you hold the heat to the material.

2 Likes

It might be another good tool for the leather workers. The normal vegtan leather can be stamped. Chromium tanned (which is everything else) cannot. It simply bounces back up. This is what is used by companies to emboss chromium tanned leather. I of course would be willing to show people how to use it. It’s not super delicate, but there is a heating element that can get damaged if abused. cheers!

2 Likes

So in this case teaching is OK…

3 Likes

I would hope so. nothing in it for me. I’m donating it if wanted.

is bookbinding a thing here at DMS? I would hope they would want to use one. Also good for branding pencils, notebooks, wedding invitations, matchbook covers - practically anything you can lay flat under the heating element and that the foil will adhere to.

1 Like

Dang. Haven’t seen one of those in a long time. I spent my wild youth in the back room of a Hallmark after school getting paid to use one of those (identical to above pic) to emboss a never ending tower of custom Christmas cards. They’re crazy easy to use.

2 Likes

You guys crack me up. So much crap for saying I’m not signing up to teach a process I don’t know. Y’all are funny

This can do PENCILS!!! YASSSSSSSSSSS! I (uhhhhh we) would love it! Oh happy happy day!

1 Like

well I’ll bring it up and we can pick a day to show how to use it.
-nick

5 Likes

Awesome - we will decide an amount to invest in the outfitting of it. My guess is get the basics and see how much it’s used.
I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-lot-Kingsley-Hot-Stamping-Machine-Howard-65-foils-asst-sizes-old-new-/361812449261

I think foils are pretty much easy to find. All the modern machines still used them.

Wow, this thing can do ribbon and napkins. I’m not sure if that’s an old school thing but that’s good fun!
People can potentially make a few bones from this.

1 Like

oh, it’s definately and old school thing. Millions of wedding napkins and invitations were done on things like this. I think they are pretty much printed now.

1 Like