Horizontal bandsaw broken

After looking closely at it this afternoon/evening I’m debating on whether to sandwich two 3/16 plate with bolts running through or to just rebuild the upper portion with plate leaving out the upper casting. Ultimately it would be stronger with the rebuild instead of sandwiching it. Do a little bit of cad work then cut it out with the CNC plasma.

3 Likes

That was exactly what Walter @wandrson and I thought when we saw it. We still like your idea of at least one pin. We talked about maybe first a thin coat of epoxy to get the two pieces back together (heck a LOT of super glue maybe). No grind out IMO so pieces are well aligned as they were originally.

Then drill at hole slightly larger than a pin from the end @MathewBusby may have recommend ed spot. Insert pin with epoxy, this will stabilize some of the bending, the reason for oversize and epoxy is cast iron is likely that crack if an interference oin is used… Then the two pieces on the side with through bolts. Again, I’d epoxy the steel surfaces onto the steel so they are tight mating surfaces and won’t wiggle. Drill bolt holes and tighten bolts on the two plates.

Mind you, that was our SECOND choice. If replacement part available, buy it.

1 Like

The other part that kinda bothered me was that there were more smaller cracks in the upper portion. I was concerned about only able to get maybe one bolt & a smaller pin. That’s kinda why I was thinking of just making a new upper portion.

I’ll be there today sometime, we can talk about a possible approach, will you be there? @wandrson will you? I think it is doable with any tricky machining … plasma cutter?

Yes, I will be there this evening. I will either be disposing of the ducting in front of the freebie shelf, or over by the Bridgeport.

2 Likes

Lol. Does that mean the dumpster is empty?

Also it should be very easy to cut out what we need on the CNC plasma cutter. I know the radius already. It’s just taking one or two more measurements.

2 Likes

Should be, I believe it gets emptied on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Replacement is available from Wellsaw (we have Model 8 serial 22613)

101453 is $133.98 +UPS

Blade guide bracket on the drive end, from page 11 of http://www.wellsaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Model-8-18771-manual-160403.pdf

1 Like

@dallasmagna Can you order the replacement?

1 Like

looks like someone welded it. fixed now

I’d hope it didn’t sit around broken for a couple of years :slight_smile: there necro threads are good for showing that nothing really changes around the space.

1 Like