Honda Crankshaft Bolt Removal Tool

Thank you all for the responses.

1. Many thanks to Tim for the suggestion of getting one on loan from O’Reilly’s.
  2. For future viewers of this thread - AutoZone also loans out this tool.
  3. As I understand it, the tool is less critical for the bolt removal (which can be done with an impact wrench) than it is for re-installation when you need hold the crank, while applying the right torque to the bolt.
  4. My Odyssey is a 2003, so hopefully it won’t have the “seized bolt” issue mentioned for cars from the 1990’s.
  5. I may reach out to “warriortch” when I have the parts and I’m ready to go.if I can’t borrow one from the parts store
  6. Finally, on a scale from 0 to 10, my abilities as a car mechanic clock in at about 3, so I really appreciate all the feedback.

Phil

5 Likes

Lol. I bought a brand new impact to take the one off my wife’s car. It said nope not today. So I took the short block to city motor with the pulley still on, they charged me 70$ just to take the rest of the bottom end off.

Phil,

I left my honda tool in the green tool box weds

1 Like

Quite different than the Miata world where if you have a stuck crank bolt you put the breaker bar on the concrete floor and bump the starter to break it loose.

2 Likes

One final thanks for all the input. Vehicle is back in working order…

New timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, water pump, side engine mount, serpentine belts, idler pulley, rotors, brake pads and some stupid coolant sensor causing the check engine light to illuminate. Ready for a road trip…

Thanks again!

3 Likes