Honda Crankshaft Bolt Removal Tool

It looks like I’m going to need to replace the timing belt on my Honda V6. I was curious if DMS or any of our members happen to own the crankshaft removal tool for Honda engines? It looks something like this…

Phil

1 Like

You can rent it from Oreilly’s. I had to when I redid my wife’s car.

1 Like

Traditionally, Hondas do not require the “special tool” to remove the crank bolt if you have a decent pneumatic impact driver.
Of course, my info may be out of date (threadlocker has become better, and more prevalent since last I fiddled with a Honda crank bolt) and/or YMMV, especially the “decent pneumatic impact driver” vs. “Ryobi impact driver” if you’re using the 'Spacetools…

1 Like

I have one, if the impact doesn’t do the trick. I’ve only used it a handful of times.

2 Likes

I have the “old fashioned” verson of that - that comes with a long handle attached and will donate it to the Space.

I’ll be there Weds around 745pm.

Honda crank bolts of the 1990s were known to break the snout of the crankshaft off due to the bolt and the crank being dissimilar metals. Often air impacts would not remove the bolt.

2 Likes

Tom,

One of the things discussed about the induction heater was special loops on handles could be made for heating frozen bolts. I think this might be done in this case but ONLY if the bolt was to be replaced since some annealing may occur.

2 Likes

A guy at a place I worked at made his own using 2 correct sized nut welded end on end which was welded to a pipe to act as a handle. It worked.

1 Like

Seen them at SEMA, They are pretty cool. Seems nothing more like a transformer of some sort that heated a coil.
I think at the time they were asking something like $600 range or so for the set.

All we have to do is make the coil on a wand. We have the rest of the machine.

1 Like

Thanks David.

I did a timing belt for my sister in law ages ago on her Honda Civic, and when my Impact with 26cfm @ 170psi wouldn’t remove the crank bolt I drove the car to the local dealer and asked the shop foreman what their “solution” was.
He showed me the special tool and warned me that about 20% of the time the bolt breaks the snout of the crankshaft off during removal (i.e. not his fault if it happened).
He raised the car on the left (in ground lift) and put his bodyweight on the handle and the rear of the Civic started to lift off the rack…a couple of techs came over and held onto the rear bumper as he applied more grunt. You could hear the bolt creak as it broke loose.
Fortunately it was not one of the 20% !

It was one of many interesting experiences…

1 Like

Did they triple the shop rate since it needed three techs?

They may have but attitude is everything.

Interesting.
Of the (rough estimates) triple digit Honda jobs I’ve done and (even rougher estimates) quadruple/quintuple digits I’ve known someone and almost certainly quintuple digits of someone I’ve known who knows someone who has done work involving pulling the front crank pulley on a Honda product, I’ve never known of a single one who:
needed special tools (unless you count a quality pneumatic impact as such)
or
broken a crankshaft or front crank bolt.
Plenty of other marques I have done or have been directly involved with doing which fit either and/or both of those points. But never a Honda product (most of which would be <2000 models).

But if you have easy access to the specialty tool, count on using it! No reason not to. :+1:

3 Likes

The funny thing is, the tool’s outside goes into the inside of the crank pulley
Capture

to keep it from turning while a regular socket is inserted into the middle of the tool is used to loosen the bolt.

No idea why it would break the crank snout though, although @TLAR’s description sure sounds like they were using the tool to loosen the crank bolt/pulley without the required socket in the middle. :scream:

1 Like

The coil looked like some sort of thick heater wiret.
Seems like they’ve gone down in price since then.

This is exactly what I’m talking about. We can make a coil that will attach to our induction heater.

2 Likes

The tool pictured does indeed hold the crank pulley(and is the actual tool that I own - thanks for that pic Ferman) - which in turn holds the engine from turning. Then a higher quality breaker bar is used with a higher quality deep socket on the crankshaft pulley bolt to loosen the bolt.
I thought it was pretty obvious that the special tool was for holding the crank pulley as a counter action to removing the pulley bolt.

Me too, when I saw the tool for the very first time.
Your story of how the tech was cranking on the tool hard enough to lift the rear end sure suggests that he wasn’t using it as in the photo.
Never had the back end lift up on me or seen it lift up before just to remove the crank pulley.

My post was based on a timing belt change, and that requires removing that pulley on that particular car. My error in my post was the “thought” that those that were reading about the “special tool” knew what it was used for and that there were other tools & steps needed for the job.

If “impact guns” are not available for this type of work i.e. only “hand tools” , on many vehicles - one needs some way of holding the engine from turning (hence the crankshaft pulley tool in this article) in order to remove the pulley bolt or other bolts on the cam belt drive.

1 Like

Conversely to the horror stories here, the only time I ever needed to use one of these, it was a breeze. Nut came loose with only minor swearing involved (as opposed to lots, or copious amounts).

4 Likes