Home security camera system?

I’ve been putting off installing security cameras around my home. But with so many members with diverse interests & skills, maybe someone(s) is interested in helping me figure out a good or better way to do it.

I don’t have any specific advice, but I suggest avoiding the following:

• Cheap cameras on the 'zon / 'bay from brands with 18-month half-lives
  • Anything that’s heavily dependent on the cloud

I say this being in posession of almost-useless Foscams that depend on hilariously unsecure browser plugins for local config that have been depricated - but were all too happy to synch up with Foscam’s cloud somewhere offshore.

The problem with so many things IoT is that they’re built cheaply and will only be supported so long as there is future revenue in mind for the OEM on the underlying platform.

2 Likes

Having recently upgraded my home network to Ubiquiti Unifi products, I will likely be using their camera solutions as well. https://unifi-network.ui.com/

2 Likes

Much thanks for the replies. “Don’t skimp” is a message I hear first. Whatever system we get, I’m thinking I want to go with hard-wired cameras and maybe I’ll run wiring for two cameras to each spot while I’m crawling on my belly at edges of the attic.

1 Like

You will want to get IP cameras rather than analog. This gives you a LOT more options on the backend, and lets you change the backend as needed. I wouldn’t go any lower end than HikVision for the cameras, you can get their lowend cameras for $100-150 each. The best on the market are Axis… starting around $400 and going to a few thousand for their best.

If you get PoE cameras and PoE switches, then you only need to run the one ethernet wire to each camera.

If you want to start small and easy, find a NVR (Network Video Recorder) with compatibility with a variety of IP cameras. Most NVR’s and IP cameras that support ONVIF will work together. I’ve used HikVision 8port PoE NVR’s starting at around $250, but will need a large HD added for however much video you want to store.

If you want more control over the backend, get a recent vintage i5/i7 Windows box and use BlueIris for the camera software ($60/server).

If you want all the bells and whistles, you start getting into real money. One that has been recommend is Exacq Vision, and depending on options can be $100-200 per camera for licensing… but boy does it have nice features.

BlueIris for the software, and Dahua cameras have been recommended to me.

The BlueIris forums have more details on exactly which cameras.

It’s a bit more costly than other consumer grade solutions but Ubiquiti cameras and software is really good. I’ve used them at multiple locations now and the quality of image is very good and the usability if the interface is top notch.

I just put UBNT unifi cameras in at my dad’s boathouse. The little $70 cams are ridiculously great for what they are. I started with one and am planning to add 12 more now. I can’t even fathom how great the 4K will turn be for aiming down the channel. Protect app is pretty easy to get along with. The whole setup process is dead simple with a CKG2+ in place.

1 Like

I have the 8 channel Lorex HD DVR with 2K cameras and am really impressed with the video quality/clarity. The DVR supports up to 4K cameras too, and I plan on trying them out at some point.
Their 8 channel recorder with 4 cameras is a great ‘starter’ setup for $299.
I agree 100% about the cheap Chinese systems. Total garbage and absolutely terrible software support. The Lorex app and web interface is not too bad and doesn’t need the crappy ActiveX plugin that only works with IE6 that typically comes from the CC systems.
Lorex also do wireless and IP cameras but in my setup running power/coax (included with the system) was not an issue and I prefer the additional stability of a wired system.
I tried cheap wireless cameras years ago and they were beyond terrible. IP cameras are of better quality but still depend on signal strength etc…

https://www.lorextechnology.com

Thanks for the replies, folks. I ended up getting a system based on my across-the-street neighbor’s system that he demo’d for us. The software has more features than we know what to do with and he hasn’t had any trouble with it in the 3 years he’s had it. When we know what our system does – and what we wish it did – we can compare notes and choose upgrades with our later better-formed opinions.
What it is – is a Samsung (now Wisenet) SDR-85307 DVR box with up to 12 hardwired SDC-89445BF cameras. We got it at Sam’s. I installed 9 cameras, crawling over attic insulation to drag wires until I reached a fishtape poked through the corners of our roof from a hole outside.
It seems to work great though the hard drive is more noisy than I’m used to. Thanks again for the input!