Home network setup

Ok, now that I’m spending a little time here in Australia (but will be back in a few weeks, I’m trying to set up my home network but need some help / insight.

I’m trying to set up my home network here and have been given the standard ISP broadband modem / router / wifi combo box but it’s pretty archaic from what I have gathered… they’re a little behind the times here on a surprising number of things.

Basically I’m trying to do this:
06%20AM

And I’d like to use a new RPi-4 with a USB/Ethernet Dongle to act as the firewall ‘server’ per the recent post about the new RPi4 (Raspberry Pi 4 released, boasting impressive specs)

Then run the home network stuff on a VPN back stateside (I realize the speed issues) while having another wifi router for things that don’t need to be run through the VPN (i.e. phones and tablets).

I’m a quick learner and able to do most things pi related as far as setting one up, but as I’ve never done anything like this, I’d love some guidance before hacking away at it on my own.

Anyone done anything like this?

Norton VPN, $4.99/month

Yeah, using NordVPN now… works great, but finding a surprising number of ‘free WiFi access points’ block all VPN traffic here…even onion based!!! So increasing my cell data plan while here!

Yes, I’ve done it before learning about Microtik routers and router os.

Basics:

• Install OpenWRT, Threatstop, and Pi-Hole on the raspberry pi
  • Depending on one’s wifi routers and/or physical layout one could just do two separate ssids (GuestNet, DeviceNet) which both sit on seperate vlans and different QoS setting.
  • The GuestNet could also be tied into hotspotsystems

if we had a bit more details then one could get a more indepth answer but overall the above setup works great for a lot of setups and the VLAN config removes the need for vpn setups on the (NAS,TV,LAPTOP/PC) segment of your network design since its doing the same thing at a lower level than vpns.

If one needs a vpn then obviously there’s a few good ones for general surfing or downloading things but if one’s trying to secure a connection on their internal network then set up an L2TP or OpenVPN on raspberry pi. Added benefit there is one remote into their home nas while at a coffeeshop/work/etc… and still be secured.

1 Like