OK, since I’m sitting at home doing a whole lot of nothing these days (gotta love being part of the travel industry that’s suddenly found myself without employment ) I’m trying to figure out where to start with all of this. I have some coding background and can code in the C’s / Vis Basic / etc. but have never ventured into this realm so don’t even know where to start.
- It looks like MQTT is the basic protocol used for things to communicate, so will have to get a basic understanding there.
- NodeRed looks like the backend programming of the interactions between ‘things’
- OpenHab looks like one of the more popular free front ends for visualizing said ‘things’ and their states
My eventual goals for things I’d like to be able to achieve are:
- Learn what kind of backend I need at my house so that these things can talk to each other (broker?)
- Learn how to identify, and control ‘things’
- Create an intuitive control center / dashboard of all things
- Create rule sets so that things can be automated
- Set up voice automation
- Create my own things to control
- Set up data logging of information collected from sensors / thing states
What I want is a good primer on where to start assuming I have NO idea where to start then some pointers as to what to go to next.
Do you have any suggested items I should purchase first as far as devices to learn with. (Already have the Pi4 and it’s set up with a basic install of OpenHAB).