Home Assistant Lighting Control Recommendations

Getting settled into the new house and getting serious about setting up Home Assistant for lighting control. Planning to go the z-wave direction, but have an open mind. Was looking at the Jasco switches, but the recent reviews are horrible with failures in the 12-18 month range.

Any thoughts on what’s worked the best or that I should consider?

1 Like

Congrats on the new home.

Personally I’m upgrading many of my switches to Lutron Caseta. The Caseta line does list Home Assistant, though I control mine via Apple Home. I’ve used simple On/Off, Dimmer light switch, and Ceiling Fan switch. All have worked great for me. In some areas where I just want light automatically, I’ve used the Lutron presence detector switch. It uses passive IR to detect you even with no line of sight.

1 Like

I started with Wize bulbs controlled by Alexa, but have recently changed nearly all of my lights to Gosund brand wall switches and smart plugs. So far have nothing but rave reviews (Alexa on the other hand seems to be getting worse). They’re all wi-fi so they don’t require any additional hardware. Just replace the existing switches with a new switch, get it on your wifi and connect it to your choice of voice assistant. They have dimmable and non-dimmable switches as well as wall-plugs for non-switched lamps.

These switches are probably less than a year old, but they’re so cheap (4 Pack for ~$75) that even if they do die, the cost to benefit ratio is pretty darn good.

Not the cheapest option, but I run a mix of innovelli. https://inovelli.com/

I think I have at least one of each of their switches throughout my house and will only buy innovelli in the future.

They are firmware upgradeable, have an awesome community and very responsive CEO that listens and interacts with the community