Holiday Lawn Art Interest Check

Would this be considered holiday lawn art? Lol

You know someone had to say it.

4 Likes

I hope you don’t think I’m poo pooing this. I really like the idea and agree that it could be a great way to bring some capital into a committee. Though I say that, stay away from calling it a “fundraiser” as that has legal requirements for a non-profit.

As for joining, I join when I have projects to complete, this is because the toxicity of the politics of the space. You joke about me not getting banned in awhile, but that only highlights how toxic it is at DMS. I was blamed when I was around, but when I’m not around it has not gotten any better, in fact I would say in many cases it has gotten worse.

I also don’t feel I’ve been just sniping, I have given info where needed. Like keep it simple, so you don’t get stuck in a bunch of quagmires. Especially around artwork, while many would like special one off artwork, many would also pick from a list of 3 to 5 options just to be a part of the project. So making a bunch of designs that have to be traced and rebuilt in CAD is a lot of work. Verses the efficiency gain of a few stock designs. I did this as a cub scout when one of the dads would cut the blanks for us. We presold, painted and installed the cut outs to pay for summer camp. The first 2 years were great as we offers a Christmas Tree with lights and a bear with a male and female painting option, for extra we would add a name on the bear. The third year we thought adding more designs would allow us to sell more, since we couldn’t resell the bear and tree to house that had them. Instead, we still sold less and dealt with a much more complex sorting and build setup. We stopped doing this after 3 years and no one wanted to tackle the complex job and we only offered 7 different designs in the end.

As for pressure treated wood, your adding a lot of expense for not much gain in protection. You will get a lot of that protection from doing a good job of priming. Also, you can likely get a better finished plywood as a non-pressure treated option. Giving you some efficiency gains.

When we painted these as kids, we used foam brushed. These worked great on the sanded plywood. Also, they are so cheap in mass. When you v cut the black lines, you can smudge in the black with the sponge brush. Then when adding colors you paint those with flat strokes. So, if you get to the edge of the black V cut, as long as you aren’t pushing down you will keep that sharp edge and line work without having to mask or free hand edges much. Though, touch up on black is sometimes needed. When I was in scouts, we didn’t have the v cut, instead we used chalk and a pin hole stencil.

Hope that clears up any possible confusion.

Best of luck,
Really hope to see pictures of these being made.

1 Like

Your just a little missed sometimes. Your like the driver that is the rabbit that passes everyone on the freeway and keeps the highway patrol busy. That way everyone else stays out of trouble.

2 Likes

Foam brushes! Yeah, I use those a lot myself, and I know where to get the really cheap ones!

Great idea and project. I hope we can continue each year.

That is the plan. Even if this current one doesn’t “make”, the plan is for this to be an ongoing thing, possibly including other holidays for which folks would like yard art. Some of the plans also include fence/balcony hangers for people without a yard.

1 Like

I am totally buried at work, but there are several people on the technical side ready to go. Where is the first design? This project idea has the full weight and support of both the woodshop and creative arts.

Someone take the initiative and forward the first design and let’s get started.

How about you JJ? @apparently_weird let us see what you are wanting to make. We WILL make it happen.

If we only have two items made, it will help us moving forward. Any questions or concerns, just toss them put there and let’s work through them.

Ok, I’ll get my design together. I’ll prepare both a basic design and advanced design. Do you want the vector file or should I brush off my vcarve knowledge and prep it like I was doing the project? I’m flexible either way, just let me know how you envisioned this for a group setting.

1 Like

Create your art as line art, with no shading. Make it like a coloring book. The machine only needs to know where to cut. If you desire it could also etch(v-bit) paint zones similar to color by numbers. The image below would be about what we need. The file format can most of the common ones. If we find any issues we can just export it in a different format.

1 Like

I’m interested, but will be out of town in a week. If you do something in the spring, Easter, Valentine Day, etc. I am all in.

In the plan. Also making things such a storks and happy birthday signs. This is a way for Woodshop to give back to rest of our community of artisans. Hopefully, even more members will become involved in woodworking.

Are you think of doing the Jack Skellington one? I would love to use that too if you do. :crossed_fingers:

Hey guys,
Keep this simple. Just review holiday coloring books and find a picture you want to paint. Also, this will be viewed from far away, you just need to be somewhat sober while painting it. If you keep your brush within a half an inch of its intended position you will most likely be fine. Or, you can cheat. Just round up a third grader from family or friends and give them a fruit juice and some cookies and let em go after it.

Here are some more ideas, not all of them are simple enough, but maybe seeing them will help you.

Here are two I like. Would one of these work?

2 Likes

Those would work!

1 Like

Here are the two images as Vector EPS files 48 inches tall.

Hopefully, you can pull that directly into V-Carve.

5 Likes

when is this supposed to happen or did i miss it?

It’s still janking along. My thought is that it isn’t going to be before Christmas. If you have thoughts about what you’d want to do, please put that here. This is going to be an ongoing thing, with cuts that can be made for many seasonal yard-art things.

I mean, when I agreed to help with the painting end, my available days were 12/15 and 12/20. Those are gone. I’m also available Friday, but nothing is cut yet, paint isn’t bought, and I’m not sure anybody wants to be painting yard art on Christmas Eve…

I am happy to help anyone get one or more of these done this week. PM me and copy @SWA.

I am unsure of @SWA’s availability.

Users will need to provide their own material. Woodshop will provide spoilboard material. We can scale to any size.

2 Likes

And painting could, indeed, still happen.