Holiday Lawn Art Interest Check

Creative Arts and Woodshop are exploring a holiday art project event. We are wanting to create a yearly collaboration between Woodshop, Creative Arts, and possibly adding electronics next year.

Doesn’t making one or more of these in the next couple of weeks look fun.

iu-3
iu-4
iu-5

iu-7
iu-8
iu-9
iu-10

iu-13

iu-18

The way we have envisioned it working so far is that you sign up for one of the events, select a preexisting design or submit yours for review, and pay the cost of materials. Woodshop would create the wood blanks and CA would provide the paints, the work area, and coordinate the decorating event. One of the committees would bulk purchase the plywood in order to keep the costs down. Starting sizes will range from 4x4, 2x4, and 2x2. It will most likely be 1/2" plywood in order to keep the costs low enough for everyone to participate.

Also the CNC can create outlines for where the colors go, like a color by number book for us members that need the extra help being a beginning artist,

Although we are very close to Christmas, there is still plenty of time. Surprise any visitors you might be hosting this year.

Again, this is a pilot project. We aren’t going to get to hung up on things. Over time we hope to create a library of temples that members can choose from that also include other holidays and events. Bunnies, storks, turkeys, who knows???

Let’s have some fun and start a new DMS tradition. We can figure out better timing as we go.

Let the peanut throwing begin :cowboy_hat_face:

11 Likes

I’m interested. Would be interested in getting up to speed on router since last project.

Leaving a router cut to separate sections would have an added bonus. Can be filled in with black for a nice cartoon effect.

I’m interested.

we made a grench many many moons ago.

and it means I only have to put up one string of lights for him to steal

13 Likes

What if you added a Santa Cop this year? Maybe a reindeer policeman?

This is was a planned activity(concept), but the machine roll-out fell behind. Now the supervisors will be running the jobs just to get this tradition jump started.

If only a few people participate then custom design might not be an issue. Other wise we will probably need to primarily stick with stock layouts on the machine side of things.

Post what you have in mind. Lets get things moving.

So, you’re not going to grab a piece of plate and just hammer one out? :grinning:

Post what you have in mind and let’s see how it can be processed.
Maybe it will spark others to join. @dryad2b is looking to add a couple of paint your art classes this month if enough people want to join in.

Could you imagine the creative Santas and funky elves if we could still have wine while we paint?

Suggestion: Since this is a cross committee collaboration, students should have exposure to both sides. It helps them feel more comfortable and curious about departments they may feel hesitant about in my experience.

When I’ve done cross committee demonstrations, I pick one committee that is just “see the process” and another that is “hands on”.

I wasn’t suggesting to design something crazy and hold up production while being shown the updates, rather schedule some time when the students can come in and see how the router table works. It doesn’t get them signed off on it, just exposes them to the process so they can decide if it’s something they want to learn.

Personally, whether through this course or getting up to speed on router table again, I’d like a Sandy Claws.

1 Like

Oh yeah, this was definitely going to be a “watch as we set up and cut your yard art” kind of thing, whereupon they could head to CA (if they want) to prettify it.

For existing users it would be more hands-on with an eye toward getting everyone back on the machine as quickly as we can.

Sounds like fun, but very close to christmas already. Given the time, your likely better off doing this as a single committee. Pick 2 or 3 designs you can router out, let members pick a design and pay for. You cut them over say a week and provide hardware. Let the members paint on their own, because colors will be another discussion you won’t have time for.

I’ve done these in the past as well, same method as Pierce. Drawn with projections, cut with a jig saw, and hand painted. The advantage of the router is you can do a V cut for the black lines. This is something I did later for some commercial signage and it worked great.

Keep it simple, let the members make it complicated if they would like.

We will get it done. That is why it is a pilot project. We can easily get 10-20 done. Hundreds, not so much. Should we cap it at twenty?

100% on doing a Santa Jack! I’ve actually had an idea running in my head for awhile making this clock from the movie that actually works and counts downs the days until Christmas. :rofl: I want to hang it over my front door and run it on a battery. I just don’t know how to program the controller to do that.

TNBC Clock

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’ll be able to help with painting stuff Wednesday the 15th, and then Monday the 20th. Although, CA could get the paint and brushes, and anybody could help/monitor. When Brit and I talked about this yesterday (!!!), I thought CA would get exterior house paint in quarts in a primary rainbow, and some medium/small brushes. That might depend on the designs chosen, though. We might need more red and brown, for instance.

CA currently has quite a few pints of white, in the bottom of the Painting cabinet.

Suggestion: Might also be good for someone to be on hand to get people ability to use airbrush. Would be perfect for things like rosy cheeks or light shadows.

Maybe next year… I don’t really have airbrush folks on tap right now. When we’re doing the Real Thing next year, we can work it out a little further. Heck, by then I could learn airbrush…

The key to painting these is get a good exterior primer that seals. The key to longevity of these plywood cutouts is a good heavy prime. Because, water penetration is a killer for these. You are likely good with most paints after that as long as they can stick to the primer.

Hope this goes smoothly for you guys, I’d be up to help next year with some earlier planning.

2 Likes

Nick,
#1 Get your butt rejoined. You haven’t gotten kicked off of talk for a long time now, it’s time to get back with the program.
#2 As a business owner you are accustomed to finding solutions to problems, not just pointing them out to less seasoned folks:) No more negs without a probable solution. I have very little doubt that if personally could make a few thousand net off of an event just like this, with the same time frame, you would be full of creative solutions.

Your point about the rot issue is true, unless we use decking material that is designed to withstand months of exposure prior to being dryed in. I’m not sure we couldn’t use a plywood that is pressure treated. I have no idea either way.

Now quit scaring people and help get this pilot off of the ground so we aren’t staring a concept in the eye again. A so-so launch is better than giving up, isn’t it?

Cheers:)

1 Like

This was originally conceived as a really fun kindergarten painting class for adults. Brushes like these.

Not so much like these,

Fun overrides technical skill, after all, these are just lawn art to be seen from thirty feet.

Are we all over thinking this? This is why wine is a great thing in situations like these:)

2 Likes

That’s why I need to get brushes. I’ve got lots of the second size – not so many of the first size.

You’re absolutely right, I may be over thinking it. I was just looking at all the details in all the examples you posted. From the rosy cheeks on the elf and subtle shadows on the snowman hanging out on the fence and thought “airbrush… we have one of those”. Even looking at the last example, I see large patches of color that the wide brushes would be great for and the details on face and wisps of hair that a smaller brush would be better suited.

Either way, I’m interested, just trying to help offer suggestions.