Hobart Handler repair

Getting close to having the Hobart mig welder working again…

It was missing the spool holder, new one in place now.
Someone had apparently used it with fluxcore and didn’t have a tip so ran it anyway and the arcing burned up the threads so you couldn’t screw in an .035 tip.
Liner was rusty, we have a new one to install today.
The contact block where the machine end of the gun plugs in was pitted from electrical arcing due to the engaging thumbscrew being loose, there was enough pitting that the orings wouldn’t seal so most of the shielding gas leaked out. Talked to Hobart and the block costs $70 but is obsolete so can’t be purchased. Charles and I bored out the pitting in the mounting block but that resulted in a diameter too large to fit any standard orings. We have a set of reamers, I made a new block and used an oring calculator to find a metric oring that would fit between the brass gun end and one of the hole sizes I could ream, Bob helped me setup the reamer yesterday, first time either of us had used one. O-rings should arrive this morning.

So I’m planning on putting it back together after lunch today. I don’t think I need help but if anyone is interested in participating and will be there anyway let me know. I’m guessing 30 minutes max. I’ll work around your schedule otherwise probably start about 1.

We did some test welds a few weeks ago after getting the spool holder and borrowing a tip from my Miller Passport and it worked fine.

I think there is too much idle time and not enough welding time during mig classes so want to have both mig welders working and may drag my passport in if I can get a power cord made to plug into the 3phase grinder outlet or if we get another electrical drop near the welders.

-Randy

7 Likes

Most excellent!

As for power if both MIG welders are running at once the TIG can be unplugged.

Additionally there is a 3ph adapter pigtail in the welding tool chest and a 208 extension cord above the teachers cabinet (though sometimes gets left in automotive)

1 Like

I donated that welder to DMS several years ago. While is was in fine shape when I donated it, it sounds like entropy (and the Tragedy of the Commons) has taken its toll.

Kudos to you (and Bob and Charles) for getting it back in to working order.

FWIW, the tips are a standard size and can be found at Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, and elsewhere if you need replacements. I see no legit reason for someone needing to use the welder without a properly-sized tip in place.

4 Likes

Hobart Mig running fine. Works better at voltage tap 3 or above, that might be due to running .035 wire. I’ve done better outside corner welds but inside corner was fine. I think my coupons are 16 gauge.

![IMG_20201214_154739|374x500](upload://dVzOb

Es8LgoQhXEjVdMjD6oV3Z5.jpeg)

2 Likes

Better example using the Hobart. Voltage 3, wire speed 20, moving fast along the edge.

1 Like

There is a chart with recommended power and speed based on material type and gauge. It on the underside the lift-up lid where the wire spool is contained. Makes for a good starting point.

2 Likes

That is amazing! I witnessed the last set of MIG beads it layed down before being declared “not worth fixing” and “designated for flux core only”. Good to see someone with the knowledge and applicable skill take it on and bring it back to former glory!
Thank you!

1 Like

We did clean the hell out of that thing too.

4 Likes

Yep, forgot to mention Tim doing the dirty work cleaning out the inside and David helping with the replacing the liner, lucky we weren’t getting paid, would have been cheaper to buy a new one.

1 Like