High school ceramic making knowledge needed

My daughter is a sophomore at a STEM school. She has a project in which she needs to document the ceramic making process.

Does anyone at the Makerspace make ceramic? Or have in depth knowledge that would be willing to share information with her?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

I teach high school ceramics. We don’t make clay because of the particulates - I would contact Brookhaven community college, trinity ceramics or UNT ceramics department and see if they wouldn’t mind letting her shadow (I’m sure they would love having her help).

Now if you’re talking about just bagged clay to finished piece she can find that several places - like makerspace

1 Like

Several of us have a decent knowledge of the ceramic process, even though we mainly
work with bagged clay, I have a friend that has made and fired items made from the
clay in her backyard, She also knows glaze chemistry,.

Marty Ray at North Lake might be willing to help her out, Marty teaches ceramics
at NL and has since the school opened

My email is [email protected]

1 Like

Yeah, it really does depend on what they mean by “ceramic making process”. If she just wants some general information, and to take some pictures, I’m always hanging out in the Fired Arts area on Thursday during Tour Night (7-8:30ish) to talk to folks about pottery.

If Trinity Ceramics would talk to her, they’ve got the full deal. They sell clay in wet and dry forms, and glazes in wet and dry, and mix-it-yourself dry components. Granted, Marty at Northlake probably knows as much as Conor at Trinity. Plus, as an educator, she might be more willing to share knowledge. Conor has always been very helpful, but I’m not asking him to explain clay and/or glaze chemistry… :wink:

3 Likes

My undergrad is a BS of Ceramic and Materials Engineering… I may be able to help. I have a couple of technical books she may be interested in borrowing.

1 Like

Yeah – I wasn’t at all sure what she was supposed to be doing. Pottery is significantly different from industrial uses of ceramics.

Hi, I’m the STEM student daughter!
I would love to meet you on Thursday to take pictures and notes. If you don’t mind, could I have the address of where Tour Night is?

It’s the MakerSpace.
1825 Monetary Lane Suite 104
Carrollton, TX 75006

There are directions on the front page of dallasmakerspace.org, down toward the bottom of the page.

2 Likes

Our weekly Open House is the best time for you to meet other Makers and get a tour of the Makerspace. The event is open to the public and starts at 7:00pm every Thursday.

On the 2nd Thursday of each month, there will also be an Official Monthly Membership Meeting at 8:00pm. Official meetings involve committee reports and voting on matters concerning the Makerspace.
Address

1825 Monetary Lane
Suite 104
Carrollton, TX 75006
Directions

From 35E, head west on Valwood Parkway
Turn right at Monetary (first light after the railroad tracks).
Our building will be on the right.

Everyone is good at something, teach a class at the Dallas Makerspace
Learn More

2 Likes