Hi, I'm Chris Cooper and I'm running for Fired Arts Chair

Hey folks, my name is Christy Cooper and I am running for Fired Arts Chairperson. I wanted to post a message outlining my approach and open up for any questions people might have.

I’m a newer member but I knew not long after joining that I wanted to be more than just a user of the DMS, I wanted to be a part of the community. I went to the board meetings to learn about the overall operation of the space, began teaching group classes, did one-on-one help with people I met while doing my own work, volunteered to help maintain/clean the committee area and talked to people. I talked to all sorts of people, with different ideas and approaches to how the Dallas Makerspace works.

What I learned is Fired Arts is awesome. Even better, I think it is an area that can become more awesome.

What I would like to do as chairperson is encourage a stronger sense of us being a committee and bring that committee together to make decisions on how to move forward. What do we need in our limited space, what are our priorities, what can we do to improve, how will we maintain our space?

At the moment, I think the area is very unorganized and difficult to approach for both new and old members. This lack of organization is a part of what makes cleanliness a challenge. We also currently have a culture of not cleaning up after yourself that makes the space more work to use and off-putting. This isn’t an easy fix but I think it is a situation that deserves our attention, not just for our own benefit but because it is something we must do as members of a communal workshop.

We also have tools in our area that are under-utilized. I want to encourage more glass work in Fired Arts. Cleaning the area up is a big step in that direction. I have been talking to people about lampwork classes and I am personally very excited for @Kriskat30 ’s fused glass classes. Tools that are damaged, ineffective or difficult to use should be evaluated, repaired, and upgraded. I would like for all of our tools to have a path to use, but I very much want that to be something that is discussed and developed by the committee. (Yes, this is the individual/small group firing kiln issue and I think there are many perspectives and reasoned arguments on all sides, which is why I would like us to come to a well-thought out consensus of how to proceed as a committee and encourage anyone that has feelings about this to attend the FA meetings.)

One of the most important factors to our operation is regular, organized committee meetings. These have been very irregular recently and I think it is to our detriment. Meetings need to be a place where ideas are welcome to be voiced and volunteerism is encouraged. Not all ideas are good ones and not all help comes exactly as you would like it, but it is a beginning that can be positively developed.

And lastly, I want to encourage more instructors and create an environment where they can teach without an overseer or disruption.

I guess my big take away here is that I love Fired Arts. I want to help continue the good work that is being done there now and move towards making that easier, in a clean environment, with more ownership and more involvement from the membership.

If anyone has any questions for me, please hit me up here on Talk or I’ll be back in FA early on Saturday before Open House doing some last minute neatening up. I will do my best to answer. You can vote by attending the Fired Arts meeting on Tuesday, October 17 at 8pm or by giving your proxy. You can pass those in writing, via email or via Talk to a member that will be attending.

20 Likes

I’d love to see more people at our upcoming meeting. If you have an interest in what is going on in Fired Arts and the direction it can go in, please talk to the candidates and attend the meeting! If you are unable to make the meeting and would like to send a proxy, I’m available to take them. I co-teach the throwing classes with @cmcooper0 and also co-taught the yarn bowl class. I’m currently back in fired arts throwing for open house and plan on being here most of the day. I’m usually at the space most Sunday mornings/afternoons and try to make Thursdays nights as well. Feel free to reach out to me message me. If you need my email to pass to a non-talk using member, let me know.

2 Likes

– ? –
​​​​​​​​​​​​​

2 Likes

Darn Autocorrect! I thought I caught all the quirky ones that happened, but that one slipped past. That should have said non-talk using. I’ll go back and fix it.

3 Likes

:grinning:
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

1 Like

Having known Chris for ahem, more than 15 years, I can’t emphasize enough how awesome she is and how well she can help grow a department / SIG / area that she is interested in.

7 Likes

Good Morning, Chris,

I notices you just listed what you want to accomplish, please list you past history with Fired Arts such as:
Did you teach before coming to DMS?
What type of firings have you personally done without an instructors assistance?
What types of kilns have you personally operated?
What type Fired Art techniques do you have experience in?
How long have you been been working with Fired Arts?

Thank you,
Anita Willis

2 Likes

Great questions!

1. I had not taught Ceramics classes before coming to DMS, that actually has been one of my unexpected favorite parts of joining. I had informally helped people prior but not in a structured format and it’s wonderful, I highly encourage others to give it a whirl. I intend to keep teaching classes and work to make each better than the last. One area that I want to work towards is finding people that are interested in teaching intermediate level classes and more project based classes (that can be appropriate for both beginners and those with some experience).

2. I have personally fired electric and raku kilns. I have helped load and unload many, many gas, soda and wood kilns but have not fired them. I’ve also done pit firing a couple of times but I wouldn’t feel comfortable tackling that one by myself without a lot of research or a buddy.

3. Paragon electric and house-made gas raku.

Quick interjection in light of kiln questions! While I am comfortable and confidant in firing a digital controller electric kiln, if elected, I do not want to single-handedly take over all community kiln firings. I don’t think that is the most efficient model of operation and suffers from the ‘what if Helen got run over by a bus!’ problem. However, I also don’t want to have a huge crew of new operators handling everyone’s work, that’s a recipe for disaster. I know the pain of kiln mishaps. A small team of people, working together, who have experience with firings would be the goal. I would very much welcome input from the committee in this regard. I don’t want folks to feel uncomfortable with how their work is fired.

For those that want to learn how to fire a kiln, I would want to offer a (definitely multi-part) class that would lead to them being able to fire their own work, probably with supervision at first, until they are cleared to fire the kiln on their own. (This would not immediately bump them into community firings.) There are so many aspects to making this work I would want to develop the process in committee. It’s a big change, with a lot of room for error, and deserves a lot of consideration.

1. I am a terrible hand builder! :slight_smile: But I am familiar with coil, soft slab and hard slab construction and can throw a workable pot. I also have experience with assorted decorative techniques such as slip trailing, terra sigillata and mocha diffusion. I recently learned about water etching here at DMS from @MrsMoose, it’s a great class and I highly recommend it. On the glass side of things, I have done blown glass but not fusing nor slumping. I’m checking the calendar compulsively for the upcoming glass class in FA.

2. I’m still new to ceramics, I have been throwing for three years now and have no intention to stop! I really dig it in a practical way and as an art form.

I super appreciate your questions, if there is anything further, please hit me with it!

4 Likes

Girl I got you on hand building if you can improve my throwing - specifically how to talk to others about throwing…that’s my crutch.

Deal! There are some really clever porcelain slab built, slightly slumpy pots I’ve been eye-balling for a year that look easy but I know I’ll massacre. I’m not the best thrower but I’m building up a good file of metaphors, beginners technique approaches and sticks for hitting sticky-out elbows.

Grrrrr porcelain paper clayyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee don’t you even get me started on that!!!

Awwww, porcelain is lovely! Every time I get that perfect translucency, I’m over the moon. Then again, I’ve never hand built with it…I’ll start with something super forgiving that won’t lead to hair tearing.

Seattle has a porcelain it touts is excellent for handbuilding. It’s composition reduces the fatty feel classic to porcelain, though the color description says white/gray. They have several others listed as good for handbuilding including one with grog added. When I put an order together for some Southern and Cool Ice, we can look at adding some.

1 Like