Help with soldering problems on an Arduino project

Hi all. I hope I’m posting this in the right place, my apologies if I’m not.

I’ve been working on a Christmas present for my niece, a series of LEDs in a large “L”, the first letter of her first name, that blink in various patterns. I prototyped it in a breadboard and it worked just fine, so I know both the circuits and the Arduino code are functional. I mounted the LEDs and the necessary resistors and tested them as I mounted them, so I know they are fine too.

What isn’t fine is the actual soldered board for the Arduino and TPIC6B595 shift registers. I’ve checked them over and over with a magnifyng glass. I’ve checked the connections with my multimeter as best as I can. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why this isn’t working. I assume I did something dumb while soldering it up, but I just can’t figure out what it is.

Is there anyone at DMS who has some experience soldering these sorts of things, possibly with better eyes than me, who can give this project a look and help me figure out what the hell I screwed up? Christmas is coming soon, and I don’t think I’ll finish it in time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Damien Falgoust

2 Likes

There will be a few people around tomorrow night during open house hours that should be able to help - I’m one.

Raymond

6 Likes

Thanks, will try to swing by tomorrow night.

1 Like

I can probably help on this. I have a class tonight at 8. Can we meet at 6 or 6:30?

UPDATE: As I finish my first cup of coffee I realize that you plan to be at DMS Thursday and my class is Friday. If you don’t get it solved tonight, post an update and I’ll meet you there when you can. Sounds like a great project!

1 Like

I’ll take you up on that if it isn’t fixed tonight, assuming I don’t get carted off to a loony bin from this driving me insane.

1 Like

Hey Damien,

It was nice to meet you tonight and I’m glad I was able to help you.

Raymond

2 Likes

It was fantastic to meet you to, and you guys saved Christmas for me. Raymond not only fixed the problem with my project, he also improved my crappy soldering on some other places as well. A few others helped as well in finding a way to test it since i was stupid enough to leave the plug at home. I can’t thank you guys enough, I really was stuck on this and didn’t know how to get past it. Thanks again!

2 Likes