Help with kisslicer

So I successfully printed a small test model no problem, but now I want to print something too large for the print beds so I need to split the print. Other slicers have the ability to do this easily, but I haven’t figured out how to do it in Kisslicer and haven’t found any relevant tutorials. I assume this must be possible. Worst case I can just do it in blender but that’s a bit of a pain.

The other thing is I would like to be able to do my slicing at home and bring in the gcode file since I find this more convenient. I installed Kisslicer but it doesn’t seem to support these printers by default. I would prefer to use Cura rather than Kisslicer and found an old .ini for the polyprinter settings, but it appears Cura doesn’t use .ini files anymore and now has separate JSOM files for the extruder, bed, and printer. If anyone has had success getting Cura to work with the Polyprinters any help would be appreciated.

NetFabb or TinkerCAD can handle the splitting for you. I don’t believe KISSlicer includes a model splitting ability.

I use an old desktop version of NetFabb which I use. I believe they also have an online, web-only option (or used to).

1 Like

You used to be able to download the PolyPrinter version of KISSlicer from the PolyPrinter website, but I don’t see the files on their downloads page today :frowning:

This TALK thread will guide you on pulling the necessary files from the DMS servers to customize your generic KISSlicer. Hopefully it’ll be compatible if the releases vary. Caveat emptor.

Have you tried the version provided by PolyPrinter?

Here’s a link to the PolyPrinter install package: https://www.polyprinter.com/content/PolyPrinterSetup_Win64.exe

It does seem to install an older version of Cura with a PolyPrinter settings file, but it doesn’t create any icons or shortcuts. IIRC, it’s in one of the Program Files directories. I’ve attached a few of the ini files, although they don’t seem to be supported in modern versions of Cura. Hopefully they’re human readable enough to determine the correct settings and configure other slicers.

Cura.zip (7.2 KB)

1 Like

Translating some settings (eg bed size, nozzle size, esters, temps) is pretty straightforward. Some things like fill type, support, item placement are slicer-specific and might not port well or at all.

The PolyPrjnter version of KissSlicer does a post-processing step when slicing which is not a function in Cura.

I’m not sure what goes on in that post processing (or exactly how it’s done) but it’s possible a manual batch file could implement the same functionality.

I don’t know what changes in that post processing, but based on the comments which stream by it’s more than just adding the slicer settings inside the gcode comments.

I’ve had prints succeed without issue even when the post processor fails (apparently having ‘gcode’ in the saved gcode file’s path can cause an issue), but I haven’t yet run a side-by-side comparison. I’ll add it to the Trello board to give it a try.

Kisslicer does provide us many advantages, most especially the ease of use and preconfigured profiles, but I’d also like to offer PrusaSlicer and other slicers for more advanced use cases.

If it’s the script I modified the final G code includes the current user’s name.

Flow rate tweaks.

Print speed adjustments.

Adjustments to the fan speed.

The perimeter is sometimes skipped.

Some sort of modification for solid fills

Bug fixes for older versions of KISSlicer.

Jerk setting adjustments.

The final gcode is appended to the generated gcode. Cura supports an ending gcode script.

Poly printer does an additional post-processing step beyond. I suspect there’s a batch file which could be adapted for use in conjunction with Cura but I’ve not looked at all closely at the details.

I use Meshmixer, which is free, to split the model and then use the slicer to generate the gcode to print.