Help with inkscape for use with plasma cutter

I’m making metal tags for the company I work with and need to cut out the logo. I’m struggling to import the design into sheet cam. I know to convert from png to svg but still cant get it to show in sheet cam. If anyone has some quick tips or potentially the time to help out, I would greatly appreciate it.

1 Like

I believe you need to save it as a dxf first before taking it into sheetcam

2 Likes

Huh. I thought dxf was for autodesk

1 Like

I have always saved in inkscape “save a copy” as a dxf for it. Try it.

1 Like

DXF is Autodesk’s data exchange format - their published format for importing files from other formats.

As such, it is also widely supported by other CAD/CAM software.

2 Likes

what Hank said. DXF is pretty much an industry standard now. SVG is more of a graphics exchange format and is ok for driving a laser (a print driver) it’s not used much with other large equipment programs.

1 Like

Sheetcam will do SVG, I’ve done it. However I cannot remember exactly how I did it.

1 Like

Tim, can’t remember? Lol…my wife and I like to say between the two of us we almost have half a brain…

By some luck, I finally got my project a tool path. I’m having trouble figuring out how to get it from the servers to the plasma computer. The local files seem flooded with random jobs people have downloaded in the past. Also, is there an online refresher I could access to help with running the dynatorch program?