Help with 2009 Kia Sorrento

Does anyone know of a good and fair mechanic for Kias or possibly an individual willing and able to work on my Sorrento.Check engine code says It needs Catalytic converter. plus something else going on now. will start but not run for more than afew seconds. oil light has come on but has oil in it. Would definitly appreciate any help. Thanks

please give a little more background on the events leading up to when the check light came on.

The check engine light came on with basically no fan fare. It is tied to the catalytic converter code. The more immediate and most recent problem is the oil light coming on and then the engine not wanting to run. We were coming back from Frisco Sat. night when this happened. Checked the oil and it wasn’t even to the low level on the stick. Put some oil in it to bring it up and Sun morning when we went to go back to frisco, it stall on us about 1/2 mile from the house.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge as well or just the light?

The light is generally to warn of loss of pressure rather than low oil level. In the event something like your oil pump has failed, do not try to start it.

Thanks Bill No gauge just the idiot lights.

Hi Tim, welcome to Talk!

I’m fairly new to Dallas, and looking my trusted mechanic when I moved was a huge bummer.

I’ve had a lot of work done at highland auto (Plano rd and nw Hwy) but they’re a bit spendy. I had a cheaper place I went to on 75 around walnut but I think they’re out of business or moved. I found messaging businesses on yelp to be helpful, but at the time I knew what was wrong or what work was needed.

It sounds like there’s no oil pressure. Best case scenario is no damage was done to the engine and rectifying the oil pressure issue will fix it (like changing the oil pump or clearing a blockage). Worst case scenario is the engine ran for a while without oil pressure which would cause catastrophic engine damage (rings, bearings, valvetrain components, all the hard/expensive to replace stuff). In the future stop as soon as you see the oil light and don’t use the car again until the oil pressure problem has been resolved.

Thanks I have found out that the car not wanting to stay running
is a built in safety feature to keep the catastrophic failures to
a minimum. We only ran it about five city miles after the light
came on, so hopefully nothing too bad happened. Now I need to find
out what the cause is, which is what I need the help with and to
fix it. Thanks again

Thanks. Yeah it seems every time I find a reasonable shop they
either go out of business or move somewhere.

Were there any strange noises or loss of power associated with the light coming on?
When it quits, is it more like it slowly stalls out, or is it just like the key was turned off?
Does it shut off only at idle or while you’re driving down the road?

No strange noises, the light just came on. it will start sorta
normal then doesn’t really idle then stalls out. First time it
stalled out, we were driving normal 30 mph maybe, came to a stop
sign and it quit, I did not pay attention to how it stopped
running. maybe it was a total of half mile. since then I started
it twice at home and it just kinda dies out, I have not attempted
to drive anymore.

I think the 2009 Kia Sorrento is one of the models listed in Kia’s large product recall for Engine debris/Engine Defects.

My 2011 Kia Optima died with very little fan fare one day and I ended up getting a new motor for free from Kia because of the Recall.

Check your VIN and see if you car was part of the recall because Oil pressure was one of the symptoms. Also check to see if you have oil blown back into your intake manifold.

2 Likes

I’m not too certain on your oil pressure problem, but often when a downstream oxygen sensor goes out it can trigger a catalyst efficiency check engine light. Sometimes simply replacing the downstream oxygen sensor can remedy the problem. Some testing and poking around would be needed to confirm this, but who knows.

How would I test the o2 sensor

Thanks I don’t think mine is part of that recall. It was for a brake
stop switch

Mars42
http://post.spmailtechno.com/f/a/nSpz1Ik46s6OccSDISREpQ~~/AAChrAA~/RgReh0DfP0QqaHR0cHM6Ly90YWxrLmRhbGxhc21ha2Vyc3BhY2Uub3JnL3UvbWFyczQyVwNzcGNCCgAAXw2mXA9wgpdSF3NidHVybmluZzEwQHZlcml6b24ubmV0WAQAAAAA

April 4

I think the 2009 Kia Sorrento is one of the models listed in Kia’s
large product recall for Engine debris/Engine Defects.

My 2011 Kia Optima died with very little fan fare one day and I ended
up getting a new motor for free from Kia because of the Recall.

Check your VIN and see if you car was part of the recall because Oil
pressure was one of the symptoms. Also check to see if you have oil
blown back into your intake manifold.

Visit Topic
http://post.spmailtechno.com/f/a/wR6HMYFWXdQWO5sMugOsrw~~/AAChrAA~/RgReh0DfP0RIaHR0cHM6Ly90YWxrLmRhbGxhc21ha2Vyc3BhY2Uub3JnL3QvaGVscC13aXRoLTIwMDkta2lhLXNvcnJlbnRvLzUzNzA5LzEyVwNzcGNCCgAAXw2mXA9wgpdSF3NidHVybmluZzEwQHZlcml6b24ubmV0WAQAAAAA
or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here
http://post.spmailtechno.com/f/a/n3qvePdaZBGiof4D9R7mFA~~/AAChrAA~/RgReh0DfP0R0aHR0cHM6Ly90YWxrLmRhbGxhc21ha2Vyc3BhY2Uub3JnL2VtYWlsL3Vuc3Vic2NyaWJlLzc0NDU5NTg4MTk3MDY0OTkzZGFkZGJkMTNmYzBmZTU5YTljYTBhNzA5YjgxMGVlYTM4ZjVjZWRiZGUwYzAwODlXA3NwY0IKAABfDaZcD3CCl1IXc2J0dXJuaW5nMTBAdmVyaXpvbi5uZXRYBAAAAAA~.

Something that happened in my car once was an utter failure of the Catalitic Converter. A chunk of it had actually broken off and wedged itself sideways in the exhaust. I eventually figured out why my car was running like crap by taking the cat off and just driving (for about 3 minutes) with an open manifold. Restored all my power and ran smoothly. I stuck a stick down the tailpipe after the cat and knocked a big chunk of stuff out. Replaced the cat with an el-cheapo part as the car was practically done anyways, but did put probably another year on it.