Help & permission with blacksmithing equipment

Good morning,
I am new to Dallas Makerspace, and I understand I need to fill out a few forms and get permission, and a safety instructional or something of the sort in order to use the equipment. I am well experienced in blacksmithing and the equipment, but I understand the rules of which. I’m on a tight schedule, as the last day I can be in Dallas is the 16th, so if I cannot get permission for the equipment before, I will be back on Nov. 23rd-27th. If anyone can help with what forms I need to fill out as well as who I can talk to about the equipment, it would be appreciated.
Thank you.

This class currently has 2 openings:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/18771

If you want to attend, I would recommend signing up quickly before it fills up.

Kyle,

I’m teaching the blacksmithing class next Tuesday on the 18th. I’m sorry you won’t be able to attend. I try to teach them every Tuesday at 7:00PM except when we have blacksmthing meetings. (Also on Tuesdays, but we can familiarize you with the equipment then if you attend the committee meeting) You should check https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/ regularly for updates.

As far as forms there aren’t any. What is needed is 1) safety instruction on the equipment and 2) proper use of each of the pieces of equipment. We have an induction forge, a cross cut saw, a KMG grinder and a hydraulic press. There are documents on the equipment, too.
Induction Forge Training v1_0.pdf (773.5 KB)
KMG Grinder Class V1_0.pdf (739.4 KB)

I don’t know what experience level you have but we welcome all blacksmith’s to the committee.
We also have open forge classes where any blacksmith can come and participate while we teach people how to make an object on the anvils and using the propane forges. (They cannot be used indoors.)

We also have a lot of equipment which you can use including a coal forge and any number of other blacksmithing hand tools.

Unfortunately, your limited schedule will make getting familiar with the equipment difficult. I am preoccupied with my blacksmithing class at Brookhave on the 15th and with church on the 16th or I would be willing to help you out.

Contact me when you get back and maybe we can work something out. There are others, such as @jbrown885 who could also help you with familiarization of the equipment. He’s the chair of the blacksmithing committee, but I cannot speak for his schedule either.

DMS is an organization of volunteers so we all teach, help out, work with others when we can.
DMS Blacksmithing Safety Rules.pdf (289.4 KB)

3 Likes

As a brand new member we might be talking about the waiver.

2 Likes