Help on what it takes to cut gems, and a potential idea?

Need some help and advice about whether something is a good idea. First does the space have any grinders, lapidary machine, polishers, or other gemstone working equipment? Would anyone at space know anything about gemstone working in general? The reason for this being, I’m a student at utd in a program thats technically in the geosciences department so I get a bunch of feed in my facebook about stuff going on. One of those things is the geoclub is selling off some their rock/gem stock and been contemplating learning how to cut stone like with casting just so I can attempt to apply it a project I had in mind .
Just what do I look for, what’s good for practice and how do I assess worth? The department generally has a lot on display in cases of stones from all over.

1 Like

Jewelry has been talking about getting in lapidary after the expansion when they have room for it.

2 Likes

First you need to decide what type of gems you plan on cutting. Precious stones (Diamonds, Rubys, Emeralds…)are normally cut on a faceting machine…

Semi-Precious stones require Lapidary wheels this is the most common type;

There is various other equipment required for any shop; chip saw, slab saws tumblers… all depending on what you’re planning to make…

2 Likes

We have a member that is forming a lapidary DIG now
We are looking for equipment now that we can use in the
expanded space We are not looking at faceting equipment at this time

Please come to the Jewelry committee meeting and share your inte4rest

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Any idea what types of gems are easily workable and common/affordable?

Agates and anything with a hardness of 7 or less can be cut with what we are planning on having

We may not have a large saw at first

You need to talk to Johnnie or one of the other members that knw more than I do
I seem to be the most active JSM person on Talk

1 Like

In Texas you can find a verity of Agates, Onyx, quartz and even Topaz. A Cairenn_Day pointed out soft stones are best to start with and I would suggest free or very cheap stones. The first cut you will want to learn would be the Cabochon IGS has a good description here;

From there progress to more difficult stones and cuts.

1 Like

Believe we are getting a genie with 6” wheels that would be fine for just about anything. In the 3 test outs I’ve taken at various gem clubs, you usually start with the hard stuff to get use to working out the previous grinded profiles. Idea being less material removed, less room for mistakes carried over to next wheel. With softer stones a newer person may take too much off, too quickly. Tho with one genie we will prolly test out with soft stones due to time constraints on one machine.

Re Faceting. I don’t have much experience there. Although a few memebers have mentioned they have a flat lap or facet set up we could use. I’m sure someone has some experience from one of the other clubs tho. They don’t take a lot of room up.

Specimens are pretty subjective without provenance in most cases. India cuts stones below .20-.30ct for wholesale market.

Australian Variscite and Kingman Turquoise cut by me. 5-6mohs

1 Like