Help Needed With Laser Project

I am in need of some assistance with a laser-cut wood project. I am not yet trained or certified.

I recently purchased a Pelican Case tm to be used for tool storage and transport.

My intent is create a few shelf layers to be comprised of Kaizen Foam tm backed by Birch plywood for rigidity.

I understand that we have the capability to scan objects, modify the CAD model as needed, then download to the CNC Laser Cutter.

I need some assistance with this for the Birch plywood. A few people, including Madame President, are curious to see if our Laser Cutter can be used on Kaizen Foam tm.

Kaizen foam is polyethylene foam, kinda like HDPE which is on the no go list for catching fire and melting. Though because it is in closed cell format, I would bring it up with @Team_Laser and see what they say. It may be more beneficial to cut it with a hot knife (the recommended way based on the manufacturer’s website).

As to 3d scanning, if you are dealing with a square geometry or something that is not terribly complex, it might be faster to model in CAD vs trying to scan and map the nodes in the 3d scanning software.

3 Likes

I’d take photos of the tools, import into Fusion 360 or something else and trace around them to create shapes. Measure and scale to match.

Print, cut out, spray adhesive and stick to the foam where you want. Then cut with a hot knife or wire.

I believe there are foams that could work with the laser, but the main issue is focal depth if you want to go thicker than 1”. Would the floor foam from harbor freight work for you?

1 Like

I am good with shadow boxing the tools.

Really need help with matching the interior geometry of the Pelican Case so I can either laser cu (or create saw pattern/template) for the wood.

Cardboard or DollarTree foamcore is excellent for making mockups. Measure, cut, trim, repeat.

Once the shape is finalized, scan at 1:1 scale and clean up lines/angles in Fusion360, Adobe, or InkScape, and then cut out of wood on the laser. Wooden blanks make good patterns for use with a Hotwire foam cutter.

2 Likes