Help needed to move flat files to creative arts

Many moons ago we discussed moving the unwanted flat files from the Machine Shop to the CA room. I’m hoping to bribe a team with cakes and cookies in exchange for sweat and muscle. We’ve marked out the space with blue tape on the floor. Is anyone willing to take this on?

I doubt I can do it by myself, but I’m willing to help with it tonight while I’m at the space.

Do we have any furniture dollies at the space?

I’ve moved dozens of these and they are much EASIER than they look.

A typical hand truck and a 2nd person is all it will take.

No need to remove the drawers either.

I’ll be up there tonight around 7pm if you can wait that long

I’ll be there at that time and we can move them then. Thanks!

There are dollies, if you can find them.
There are some things in the drawers that need to be removed and left in the machine shop before moving them. Please check carefully as they tend to slide to the back of the drawers where you can’t see or reach them. Just put them in the cabinets somewhere. Thanks.

1 Like

I’d be happy to lend a hand if I’m in the area. How much does it weigh?

I used a dolly last week. I found it in the project storage area in front of the common area. I used it to empty heavy trash in the woodshop. It was not the hand dolly kind though but the furniture dolly kind.

I’d guess in the neighborhood of 50#. The problem is that they’re bulky.

They will also tend to warp and rack when moved. They are really pretty fragile and easy to create kinks and bends in.

1 Like

Walter that can be true - but they aren’t bad at all.

I strongly suggest they are not positioned on carpet unless you place a piece of MDF or plywood ( the size of the foot print of the flat files) down first - as they need a FIRM base to rest on - to avoid having the drawers hang up after they are loaded.

Maybe not when you have people who know what they are doing moving them, but in my experience when the engineers that use them try to move them they do all kinds of bad things! :smile:

3 Likes

Last night there was a giant pile of grade-Z plywood in automotive (from the Thunder Laser crate) that was otherwise likely to feed the dumpster.

2 Likes

I’ve used 3/4" pvc to move stuff like that. Just pick it up a little bit put the pvc under & roll it along.

my suggestion for the “firm” base was for here their final resting place will be - don’t frequent the CA room enough to know if the floor is carpet or a hard surface.
if it is a soft surface then the cabinets will need a plywood or mdf floor plate to rest on.
moving them will be easy

Walter is right - never hire engineers to move something if you want to get it done correctly and in a timely manner

1 Like

I believe the CA room has carpet.

1 Like

My dad was an electrician. He used to say that he would love it if every electrical engineer would have to pull the wire they put into their plans at least once. He thought I was going to become an electrical engineer and wanted me to appreciate the practicality of actually having to implement something an engineer drew up.

He worked at Dow Chemical for 30+ years and saw many an engineer draw up a new circuit only to be told it was impossible to actually pull. I know many DMS folks are engineers. I also know many are practical people, some are even practical engineers. Still, there is no substitute for actual experience doing something and I agree with Tom’s quote below. I actually avoided being an electrical engineer because I ended up a computer scientist instead.

3 Likes

I’m here if somebody wants help moving the flat file.

The biggest problem is finding a time when the pathway is clear. The files are in at least two pieces.

I left a cake on the files as bribery FYI.

1 Like

Edit: I left a sealed and covered cake on the flat files. :wink: