Help me name my quilt

How about “holy hell look what I made, it’s freaking awesome” because that’s what I would name it.

3 Likes

Today I learned…
trapunto
Also, because today’s word of the day hasn’t posted, I checked out yesterday’s:
palimpsest
(nothing to do with this project, but since I was wasting your thread’s bandwidth…)

:+1:

EDIT: UPDATE! Todays’ word of the day is earthshaking.
I was disappointed until I read about the fact that this word entered English in the 16th century…

2 Likes

Rosa Rubicundor (latin for 'Redder than Roses)

1 Like

I like Nick’s momomiji, too. “Flowers for mom” also came to mind.

1 Like

I know it is not actually accurate, but “Torrid Tessellations”

1 Like

Floral Tessellations?

2 Likes

Phoenix or Rebirth or from the Ashes

Looks like wildflower arising from a burned area

I have a friend in Cal that had her ranch burn last year and sshe almost had it happen again
this year in the Camp fire

1 Like

And the name is … drum roll please … Crimson Kaleidoscope.

I particularly liked momomiji but I feared that would be a little too obtuse (or complex) for my mom. I appreciate all the suggestions that people made - they really gave me something to think about!

10 Likes

Congrats!
I meant to post:
could instead spell “kaleidoscope” with a C: crimson caleidoscope. less twitch (?)

2 Likes

Here’s a status update. I’ve quilted most of the trapunto sections. You can sorta see it on the cube frames. Less obvious are the few poinsettia outlines.

I had an idea for a new (at least to me) way to mark my stitching. About half of my stitching will be non-recurring pattern so that further limits my marking options. I am not making custom stencils or rulers for 1x use.

I taped together a paper collage of my design, and then traced the stitching onto Pellon 541 Wash-n-Gone embroidery stabilizer using a washable Frixion pen. The Pellon is thin enough that tracing was easy and did not require a light table.

IMG_7959_600px

Once I pinned this to the quilt - hafta say - loved this! Since the Pellon is white, I can see the markings on it over the dark background - even when I’m stitching backwards. It holds together well under handling, unlike the various quilt papers. It’s a little more difficult to bury the thread ends or pick out unwanted stitching, but not insurmountable.

The Pellon does not tear away from under the stitching (I didn’t expect it to). So, of course, I need to wash the quilt before I gift it - but IMO that more than offsets picking shreds of quilt paper out of the stitching. I have cut away a lot of the superfluous Pellon from around the edges to reduce the amount of sticky stuff that goes into the washer.

For truth in advertising, this is being freehand stitched on my domestic (home) sewing machine.

8 Likes