Help making this incredible leather bag

You know where you waste and entire afternoon on Pinterest and come up with dozens of new projects to try? (Someone kindly shake their head in agreement…)

Anyway I found this leather bag. It looks like something I could handle with the right guidance.

http://picmia.com/1646001-ichael-kors-discount-sale-70-off

@HankCowdog was that you working behind me in CA with a backpack? Would you consider it? Anyone else? Maybe even a class?

If you click the link you’ll see a couple more photos. It’s basically a flat piece that’s cut, and then folded.

1 Like

I’ll be able to help you at the Leather SIG meeting on Sunday, if you want.

Thank you! I’m afraid I’m out of the area until Monday, though, so I’m not able to be at the meeting.

Does leather require training to use the tools?

Yeah we have a leather basics class. A few of the tools are easily damaged.

Training is required to use the leatherworking tools and supplies because of their specific nature and the fact that they can be misused and damaged quite easily and often the consumables are over-used or inappropriately used by folks with no experience using them.

If you have experience leatherworking, there are some general use expectations and policies we like to go over with people, so if you’re experienced, let’s talk.

1 Like

@clk75201, I took the images you shared and made a template for the bag in Inkscape. Saved an SVG and a PDF in the Committees Drive (creativearts\Leatherworking\Cindy K Strap Bag folder).

You should be a good jumping off point to either:
a) print out a hardcopy, transfer to cardstock, and use as a template to manually cut out of leather or
b) cut the leather out on the laser.

Using the grid on the green mat as a guide (and assuming it was 1 inch per square), the finished piece came out just barely over 6"x13". Assembled, the compartment would be about 4.25" square and .75" deep (e.g. about the size of a man’s bifold wallet). More of a mini-bag than a bookbag.

You’d need a piece of leather at least 7"x14" and some 1/2" strapping to make the bag.

I also scaled up the pattern (assuming a 2" grid in the original). That one would need one inch strapping and would finish out with about 8.5" square by 1.5" deep interior. Both versions are on the shared drive. I think this one might have more practical applications and would work for a purse (or a cosplay/renfester/mountain man possibles bag). This one would need about 13"X27" of leather and 1" strapping.

NOTE: The red square on the pattern is approximate and might need to NOT BE USED if you plan to use a metal grommet in the bag for the strap that closes the bag.

Here’s a preview:
Cindy K Strap Bag one inch strap.pdf (37.8 KB)

4 Likes

What a wonderful surprise! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

I’ve spent some time looking for leather while I’m in Mexico, but think I’ll pass on bringing anything home this trip. (Still need to research the customs issue.)

Where’s a favorite supplier for leatherworkers at the space?

A post was merged into an existing topic: ISO: Leatherworking basics class