Help design the beadmaking classes

Hi Folks:

I am trying to determine what classes are needed/wanted at the space. So for I have come up with the following class ideas but I would like to get some feedback as to what you would like to learn. Please comment…

Beadmaking 1, Making your first bead
Beadmaking 2, Bead shapes
Beadmaking 3, making and using stringer and lattachino
Beadmaking 4, Dotting and stripes. i.e. what to do with stringer and lattachino
Beadmaking 5, how to make murrini / millefiori
Beadmaking 6, working off the rod
Beadmaking 7, hollow beads
Beadmaking 8, core formed vessels
Beadmaking 9, What is Borosilicate and why is it used.
Beadmaking 10, Boro sculpture
Beadmaking x, individual instruction,

The classes build in complexity so I would recommend that they be taken in order.

class fees - Each class is expected to be from 3-6 students and there will be class fees. What do you feel is appropriate?

I appreciate your help and suggestions!
Sean

4 Likes

I’m definitely in the Beadmaking 1 zone. Fees – cost of materials? In the beginner class, I’m not sure how many rods we might use. Plus a fee for the gas, as well.

wow those all sounds great!! I would definitely need an intro to bead class as well, but would love to gradually build.

Excellent question! Not only for bead making but for many activities / hobbies.

There has been talk of multiple classes in welding.

Learning electronics and other activities would benefit from multiple classes.

I would suggest those that are interested may want to attend the New Teacher Q&A Event to express thoughts and gain insight of others:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/18382

@Julie-Harris

1 Like

Awesome… Signed up.

I would love to learn how to make these, not sure what level they would be.

This is actually a pretty advanced technique… You make a base bead and then preform a glass ball, usually at the end of a stringer, then attach that ball to the base bead… The main issue is the coordination to keep everything hot but not hot enough to melt the ball(s) into the base bead…

to learn - get basic beads down, learn dots, learn off the rod techniques, learn to form the balls and how to get them to attach without melting… Then with your 4th or 5th hand you learn how to keep everything hot but not melty while you keep making balls…

Good goal to aim for!
Sean

Remember that you get better at what you practice… So if this is your goal it is achievable, just will take practice…

I know nothing and would love to learn. I teach Latin and think learning millefiori would be extra super cool.

So funny. A couple of days ago I read this post but didn’t have my reading glasses on (I need them when I have contacts in).

I read it as “BREADmaking” and got really excited. Then I read through the topics to be covered. At first I thought I was a complete idiot and had missed entire aspects of breadmaking (hollow bread, etc.).

Good luck with your class!

1 Like

will there be an entry level class that way I can practice and gain access to everything in that area?

Actually if there was a class in Breadmaking, I would be there taking it!!!

1 Like

NEW ADDENDUM

1. The intro class would be all you need to begin making beads. We anticipate that here you will learn the basic safety required to come in on your own and practice your art.
  2. Each class is anticipated to be about 3 hours. This gives 1 hr for instruction, 1 hr for guided practice and the rest is your own time.
  3. Students will be bringing their own gas from home (any hardware store has MAPP gas, check plumbing/welding) and 2 1lb canisters are needed at a minimum for each class. (they ice over so you can only use about 50% of each canister until it heats up)
  4. Close toed shoes and all natural fiber clothing will be REQUIRED. Torches and glass are great at MELTING your manmade material clothes to you so be safe.
3 Likes

Just to make sure I’m buying the right thing… At Lowe’s and Home Depot I’m only finding Bernzomatic Propylene Torch Cylinders Map/Pro gas in 14.1lb yellow cannisters. (flame temp 3730 degrees F) Is this what I need when y’all call for 1lb cannisters of MAPP gas? The label reads “Use only with torches designed for Map/Pro gas.” so wanted to double-check before I ordered it.

Yes, that sounds like the right thing… When you look at the welding and plumbing they are the yellow cylinders. Mapp is also called propylene but it is actually unusual for it to be labeled as such. But if you ever buy it in bulk from a welding supply store (i.e. for a large b-tank) it would be called propylene.

I picked up my last 2 cylinders from Ace hardware and they were about $15 each. If you can get them below $13 it’s a good deal.
Sean

1 Like