Help choose 3D Fab's next 3D scanner!

Do you have opinions, experience, and/or use-cases for 3D scanning at DMS?

Then join us for a special 3D Fab committee meeting on Saturday, Sep 25 from 7pm — 9pm where we’ll discuss options and hopefully select a unit.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/17173

We’re aiming for something in the $2k ballpark. Ease of use is perhaps the highest priority.

Please post candidate machines and your thoughts below!

Any stories of struggles and successes with specific scanners are also helpful and welcome.

6 Likes

Low maintenance / difficult to break might be a higher priority. We can be tough on equipment.

6 Likes

Einscan SP Desktop - $2600

Einscan H handheld is the cheapest at $5000

I agree with Chris, I think a desktop scanner that has a fixed platform and even mounting it to an enclosure would prevent anyone actually handling it. But it will greatly limit the use for a 3D scanner.

The software workflow I think is the single important thing. The nextengine had great scanning capabilities but it was painful to use the software and stitch scans together. We also need something that is capable with the Dell workstations we already have (they might need maxed out RAM and graphics upgrades)

3 Likes

Sorry, but I am not going to be able to make tonight’s meeting.

They’re letting us drive our cars on the big track at Dallas Motor Speedway during the GoodGuys car show and that’s a life experience I just gotta have. :wink:

5 Likes

Not to derail the thread, but thanks for bringing this up. I didn’t realize their show was this weekend. We went today

1 Like

I can second this scanner. My son used one in production for a company that was making custom prints. His feedback says it was great while using setup with the turntable but hard to get good results handheld on larger objects.

EDIT: We probably need something that can be setup and not moved around. Lest we get another dropped scanner with broken ports.

1 Like

Good input @John_Marlow @themitch22 @Lampy!

Notes from the meeting are here: https://source.dallasmakerspace.org/display/3DFAB/Special+Meeting+-+2021-09-25+3D+Scanner

After reviewing and discussing numerous scanners, these are the scanners we decided on. Not sure yet if we’ll be acquiring both simultaneously or just one to start.

• RevoPoint Pop ~$500
  • Einscan SP Platinum ~$2600
5 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t make it, I was also at a race last weekend. It must have been unofficial racetrack day. Those both seem like good options for small objects. What’s the thought process on getting two different ones?

1 Like

Good question!

I generally see the Pop being used for larger and/or living things (even faces) that would benefit more from faster capture than higher resolution. The Pop’s price point also makes it ideal for hand-held scanning over the Einscan, as the drop likelihood for both is high.

I could see the Einscan being preferred when detail is important for smaller things that fit on the turntable. From the demo videos, the large format mode of the Einscan doesn’t appear to do live mesh alignment between frames, and the sensor is intended to remain in a static position.

Overall, I think it makes sense to see how well the Pop meets our needs before considering the additional expense of the Einscan.

3 Likes

Just to throw out another option… There is a pretty good Instructable on using an iPhoneX or later with the EM3D scanning app.

The app seems to get some pretty good reviews and doesn’t seem to suffer from the loss of tracking that many other apps do.

The app is a paid for app but supposedly has a reasonable price/subscription etc…

I haven’t had chance to play yet so can’t comment myself, but it is on my list of things to try RSN :slight_smile:

BR,
Steve

3 Likes

Here’s a video I thought was informative comparing the L515, the Pop and the Iphone X. Unfortunately Intel is discontinuing the 515…

2 Likes

Superfast Matt is a great youtuber, I like his tesla jag project.

1 Like