Help a guy learn please

Gentleman,

I need to know what machine to get trained on I want to modify some 3/16 in diameter brass and aluminum to have lego technic axle ends my question what tool do I need to learn first.

Thanks
Joshua

Which style axle?

3273’s are easiest. 36062 not much harder.

32073 to start out this may be the first of many projects.

How long are the pieces?

If less than 5" could probably do on Bridgeport with indexing head and drill going down.

If longer: Indexing head mounted so turning horizontally parallel to X-Axis & Z-Axis, then use a ball nose cutter to cut slot the length, rotate 90 degrees and do again. The trick is getting the bar stock very accurately aligned in to X & Z axes so it cuts straight.

Why do you need to make it?

eBay seems to sell them.

Cost and I need a round shaft in the middle approximately 12 inches long only need 2 or 3 inches on each end modified.

As Photomancer said: this is a Bridgeport (or Sherline) mill job using an indexing attachment and tailstock and the proper geometry end mill…then…use lathe (w/radius tool) to profile the ends to finish length.

Go to Metals Online to order material. https://www.onlinemetals.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz_zX-L2i3AIVDIZpCh2t-QYtEAAYASAAEgJ0zfD_BwE. Their “will call” window is at the ThyssenKrupp facility in Grand Prairie:

3001 Alouette
Suite 100
Grand Prairie, TX 75052 Wallingford
5 Sterling Drive
Wallingford, CT 06492