Hello! New DMS Member!

Hello! I have just joined the DMS workshop and I am super excited to get started; However, it is my understanding that I have to go through classes before I can use most of the equipment, and while I am mostly going to be focusing most of my time in the Media and Jewelry dept. I would like to get most of the classes out of the way, so it doesn’t come to bite me later down the line. But as I was looking through the form I couldn’t find any basic lessons for the Dept. space. Maybe I’m blind but if someone could please direct me or let me know the specific days dept lessons are available I would greatly appreciate it!

3 Likes

Hi Brandon,

Welcome aboard!

The class schedule through the holidays has been a little light, and if you look way out into the future, you mainly see just the regular meetings in the Events category.

The real qualification classes get scheduled about 2-4 weeks in advance, and some of the hotter ones fill-up pretty fast, so check Events regularly. If you really just have to have something instantly, it is permissible to offer money for private instruction. Alternatively, you can gather interest by posting to the Talk forum, and get other people to chime in.

There are several processes which can be self-taught or YouTubed. One thing that every modern maker needs to know is how to CAD, and we have several programs and machines for that use in the Commons. Another common starting point is 3D printing. It lends itself to many of the other disciplines in the Space. Also, the assembly areas and the hand tools don’t require any checkout (unless otherwise noted).

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I figured the holidays would put a damper on lessons, but it does put me at ease to hear that. I’ll be sure to have the calendar bookmarked from now on as well! Thanks again for the info!

1 Like

You should go to the Green Dot category, and ask for your green dot, which shows that you’re a member and opens up all the categories for you. At that point, you can ask for the class you need in the department area that will giving the class. Our teachers are more responsive to a stated need. I mean, I’ve had classes fail to make (i.e., I didn’t get paid) because I had apparently missed … I don’t know, but something. Desire? Right time? I don’t teach in either of the areas you mentioned, or I’d offer to put up a class. It’s a lot easier to match up times if I talking to an actual interested person.

Once you make a post in a category, it helps if you “tag” the team involved. For instance, if I could remember whether it’s Infrastructure or the Moderators that verify your membership and give you a green dot, I’d tag them. You tag by typing @ and then start typing out the name. For jewelry, I’d type the @ and then team_j. By that point, I should get the jewelry group pop up so that I can click it. Tagging is a little stronger than just posting. I’ve already replied to you directly, so you got a little blue dot by your icon in the upper right corner. If this were a conversation I wanted to pull you into, I could tag you – @BrandonV, and you’d get that same notification.

2 Likes