Heater / stirrer with temp probe

Any recommendations on a laboratory heater / stirrer with temp feedback probe? I bought a cheap Chinese ebay one last year and the device itself caught fire. It had firmware issues that I had observed while I was playing around with it. I’m a bit paranoid about an unattended heating unit since then.

This is the unit I bought

Here is one on Amazon but it’s a bit expensive. $400

Opinions on this? @Gonzalo

1 Like

What about something like this:

Yes, I’ve seen that one! Looks almost too good to be true. Worried about fire hazard still with a cheap one although I usually am ok taking chances with cheap equipment if it’s rarely used. Here are some photos of the burned up one I bought and my house full of smoke. Good thing I had it on the washing machine - metal surface. I was in the other part of the house and noted the lights flicker and heard a pop and that was the power cord melting and tripping the breaker but the thing was already on fire with bright yellow flames and acrid burning plastic fumes. And I was just testing it with about a cup of water set to about 150 degrees.

Well, that’s supposed to be an album link but it’s just showing one photo.

IMHO the one on ebay looks like the usual china/soviet tech kind of stuff so if one goes with that option they should take it into Electronics and test all the components.

1 Like