Hear me out. Storage room transformed into a computer area

The main thing is that the units are available to interact with and fully accessible for members. If that can be accomidated I’m all for moving the interactive museum to a more user accessible area. Having them on that one shelf makes it look like they’re in storage or not for use. Which tends to have people just dump rubbage around it.

Other things of concern is that there is little camera coverage of the units already and doing the last member meeting it was brought to my attention there would not be cameras in the classrooms.

btw isn’t the room next to lost and found used as a recording studio? I’m yeah sure I’ve seen some “vintage” hardware in there but that’s not what the interactive computer museum is about.

Makes sense since the printer is Training Required item. The door effectively provides RFID entry. KISS

1 Like

Nope. Adobe says you can’t install that on terminal servers.

1 Like

@maxk68 and I went over and looked at the area. He had what I think is a great thought, at least to me.

Where the current shelving ends, just continue it as a wall panel to separate the rooms, this will create a nook inside the new room room that is as deep as the shelves are and the printer would fit nicely into the nook both for length and deep and some roll storage.

Construction is easier AND and it creates more floor space so when there are Large Format printer classes, 5 -6 people can easily stand between it and wall and see the printer and the work station.

Figured. Like i said, dreaming lol

Nicely done, Brandon. That would make a nice computer room.
I assume that would clear out all the computers against the north facing CA wall?
I vote yes. then we can move the shapeoko out of the corner so that the power cord will finally reach :grin:

1 Like

Some the computers have software for the Shapeopko, Embroidery Machine, Dye Sub, and vinyl computer.

1 Like

If anyone is curious here is a link to the idea I have about how to best use this room.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-9lwxsfTaRgZTRBUHFraVF1eW8
Here is a PDF just incase the fonts screw up everything
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-9lwxsfTaRgRWpzdWZfQk5BZFE

3 Likes

You can get lightweight 4" adjustable height tables at Amazon, Sam’s or Costco. https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-80160-Commercial-Adjustable-Folding/dp/B003DYZQKY
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4-comm-adj-comm-grade-adj/prod8340198.ip?pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_Folding_Tables&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300000300481&adid=22222222627000000571&veh=sem

They also come in a 6’ version.

I also think the purple classroom gets completely overlooked as an annexable work space a lot. For sewing it’s got a nice sweepable floor, so no pins/needles stuck in the carpet and lots of sitting height tables and plenty of electrical outlets. Since the notion boxes are all set up and the machines are portable…just a suggestion as a sewing hangout.

So, if I understand correctly, there’s one electrical outlet in the room and it’s on the wall behind where the door opens, right?

So am I reading the floorplan right where we’d put the mat cutter, which is the one piece of equipment of that doesn’t require electricity, on that wall? What about taking the door off to buy us some floor space as well as better access to that outlet for the machinery that needs it? It would also be much less isolating in there without the door. Just a thought…

I would opt for not putting both computers at one desk…just as a personal space issue when I’m in that creative mode.

I really like the idea of putting a murphy table in there! I have something similar in my laundry room for folding laundry.

Also if the only computer we are leaving in CA is the one for the vinyl cutter, and only one person can use it at a time for the vinyl cutter, the Cameo or the embroidery machine software (talking about digitizing vs. just transferring files to the embroidery machine card) which all involve software specific design time. It’s going to be interesting to see what the demand level is for that machine.

The vinyl cutter, dye sub, embroidery machine and Shapeoko all use a computer. CA isn’t quite Ancient arts despite Niki and Fiber Arts.

I agree door isn’t really needed I dainty know the last time we closed it for anything. Could be stored.

I’m pro-door myself just because of the dirt/dust/printer/noise cutter-off-er. Clean-ish room for all your artistic needs associated with the printer area.

Electrical will be interesting - we already talked about adding outlets but it’s cost prohibitive.

I don’t think I suggested one table but I get the point. People need elbow room.

Table - Thank @mreynolds for that one. It’s all in brainspace right now. I’ve put a proposal up on the board again - this time it’s more specific with details. If you guys have wants/needs let’s talk about it.

We would need to sit down and really take a look at how to optimize the computer situation(s). If this goes we will once again (and forever) be locked into a time of change with floorspace, computer needs, tables…etc.

2 Likes

The fire sprinklers will not have to move to accomodate the floor plan shown. There will be two heads in the new room (spacing is more than close enough). The remaining heads in Interactive Classroom are about 7’-6" off the existing wall with the Server Room, which is the maximum allowed. If that wall is extended straight across to make a new room everything is good. The new wall can be offset up to about 4’ into the Interactive Classroom, if necessary, without moving any sprinklers.

Note that I am NOT an engineer: This is just my opinion from a few years designing fire systems. To build a wall you need to have a signed and sealed drawing from an architect and engineer, submitted to the City, with a permit issued, and have the work done by licensed contractors.

1 Like

But it’s not a wall.

Nor does it have to be permitted!

In the board agenda you refer to “movable art gallery type partition” to skirt the high overhead of going through permitting and construction, but I’m not sure what that would look like or how it gets installed, any links to what you are thinking of?

Sounds like a great idea and plan of action! Let’s make it happen!

I have a video, a sketch and a few pictures to show during the meeting. I’m waiting to hear back from some contractors on official bids and also I’ve asked Danny and Jim (professional theatre peeps at the space) to work up a quote because I’m assured we could easily build it here at the space- because we can - probably at one - tenth the cost. Contractors are a problem for me. Few return my call and it’s been hard to meet up because of…well I have a very very busy life.

I’ve met with classrooms and I need to meet with a few more people here at the space so it can be said I have buy in from the different committees this effects. I do understand the need for a plan. I’m trying to establish that. However, my freetime isn’t like others so things often get delayed. Anyone want to talk to contractors (as in three) and meet with them let me know?

1 Like