Hear me out. Storage room transformed into a computer area

I think they are probably outside the range of our budget but I’m willing to look into it.
I’m going to sit down with Danny and see what brilliance she can shed. With her knowledge (interior designer) she has the ability to think of options that really seem to work well.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the positive response. I was honestly thinking people would be more attached to the idea of keeping status quo with that room. I don’t mind a discussion one bit in the other direction but I’m overwhelmed with the positive approach to this idea.

If some of the chairs that are stuffed in the corner back there are in better shape, might be worth swapping out(or selling) some of the more beat up chairs that are in the room.

Can someone take pictures and post what is currently on the white shelving?

The Vintage computing SIG is currently using the white shelving with @talkers permission to host a collection of classic computers for members to make use of. @denzuko is the maintainer of that part of the shelving use.

1 Like

Could take one of the two black wire shelves from laser (one is currently on top of a table), and move the vintage computers into room one next to the lost and found. @denzuko @PearceDunlap

1 Like

Creative arts can use the wire shelf on top of the laser table.

Why would we move the old computers into the conference room? Its actually useful for small classes and gatherings unlike the old computers

1 Like

Vacating white shelving will make it possible to get rid of the white shelving. Moving vintage computers elsewhere in DMS seems like the easiest thing to get others on board with to achieve empty white shelves.

As usual, you bring up a good point about sewing and using lower tables, which is really starting to be used alot as evidenced by last Sunday.

I guess the bias towards the tall work benches is that we can get the short roll arounds that fit underneath and provide more storage capacity. However, I think your thoughts have mucho merit to take into consideration.

Our new tables need thick tops so leather work and other crafts that require pounding can be used. I personally like the tables the Space built in the Commons room just omit center strip and fasten togethe so it is wide, bus strips on end underneath maybe. Right height but stout.

What about emptying the shelves, and turning them around so they can be used in the new room. The shelf configuration could be changed-- for example remove most of the shelves but leave one or two up high for storing CA supplies. Might be possible to build or place desks inside the lower portion. Just thinking of ways to maximize the space available, and reduce build out costs for the wall

I think if this goes forward the folks that I see regularly use it, plus others that do, should be consulted as to the best configuration given what resources we have. There’s a certain workflow to doing tasks and how much and what amount of open table surface, etc. can be important.

I know at work I had my work table/cubical arranged a specific way because of the documents and drawings I’d have out when also working on the computer.

I know HOW I’d want to it, but I rarely use that digital media set-up, so my opinion is of minimal value compared to the heavier users. I mainly printed or taught folks how to use the large format printer but that had it’s own computer while the other is dual monitor/digitizer screen set-up.

So you folks that use it the most - chime out or just grouse later “What were they thinking!”

1 Like

If this goes forward, specifically which computer(s) are being considered to move? Both of the computers in CA? Or just one?

We would keep the vinyl cutter and vinyl computer. We would upload the embroidery software to that machine. We would also look at getting the dye sub and cameo hooked up. It would be a Frankenstein.
This would allow us to twist the table along the wall and gain some space.

Both embroidery softwares would need to be moved.

I guess you’re saying that both computers with Photoshop (one of which also has Illustrator) would be moving? Where would the Ricoh dye sub printer go? A lot of people use Photoshop to print for Dye Sub and some use Illustrator to prepare for the vinyl cutter.

Now that neither of the new lasers uses svg files, we are more reliant on Illustrator. One of the laser computers has Illustrator, but it’s not intended to be used for designing because that station should be in use for cutting. I suppose it shouldn’t be an issue for people to just move to the new CA cube to use it there.

I’m being selfish, however, because I use one of the computers that would be moving in order to get my files created for the Shapeoko.

Adapting that space for digital workstation usage strikes me as a better usage than its present woefully under-utilized status as a black hole.

Depending on the implementation of the separation between this new room and Interactive, we may need to install access control on the door to the workshop.

3 Likes

I would wall it off thus the only way in would be via the warehouse door. That way everyone who comes in must have a badge to get past the first door.

I get it. We will make it as easy of a transition as possible for everyone. We will look as each computers usage and unify it as best as possible for work flow.

1 Like

It would be nice (dreaming here) if the adobe suite could be installed on the jump server. That way anyone could borrow a dms laptop and use the software, rather than clogging up a machines dedicated PC

1 Like

I believe the issue there is that it would require (something to the effect of) a multiple-seat enterprise-wide license, for a bezillion dollars. But I agree. It sure would be nice …

1 Like

If anything I’d recommend ditching the pc that currently runs the vinyl cutter. Its not very good. Especially if you get another cutter and don’t have to deal with our current one not playing nice with any pc.

1 Like

Well if we got another cutter I would want to make the old one available to use for a few months until we could get everyone trained on the new one. That’s a great idea - just clean sweep it.