Hear me out. Storage room transformed into a computer area

There would be at least one outlet over by the wall behind the door (when it is open)

If there is an outlet in there, a bus bar like those in Interactive could be used. The computer would be the highest wattage draw item. Not a lot of power needed.

I hear your concerns

1. yup - done

2. I started making a floor plan for it but Iā€™m starting school on Monday and it fell back on priority. Iā€™m looking at an inexpensive L shape desk to accommodate both computers and after that we will see about an additional table.

3. Mock it up and we will see if we can do it. I donā€™t like the look of the computer area in CA itā€™s usually an area of muck. The addition of the paper rolls makes it seem even messier. You know me if we can do it a better way Iā€™ll try it or at least put it in my brain and think about it.

@wandrson Camera would be a chief concern of mine as well.
@TBJK Thanks for taking a look and throwing up some pictures.

I know little about electrical needs to run things. Anyone is free to step up and have a say. I would think electrical needs would be best if reworked rather rewired (thus inspectorā€¦)

It could be expensive. I believe this is worth the investment of transforming this space if needed. If itā€™s an issue that would derail the positiveness I would take a look at the cost and see if we could support paying for 50% of it out of the CA budget.

1 Like

You probably do not have to run additional electrical, if there is an outlet in the area - like someone said, a multi-outletā€¦although you can never have too many outlets :). The printer is probably less than 2 amps, so you shouldnā€™t have any monster power requirements needing a new circuit.

TB - I priced 10ā€™ long sheet rock, so that part of my napkin estimate would still hold.

4 Likes

I think this is a great idea. We get so much happening in the CA room that when itā€™s a full class plus a few folks in there just working, the ability to move around in the room or get inside a cabinet once folks are seated is challenging. Having more flexibility for configuring the room layout would help dramatically. Good plan

While this organization is going on classroom should get rid of the giant white shelves entirely, ā€˜coldā€™ storage can be achieved by putting stuff at our offsite storage locker that we already pay monthly for. If an item isnā€™t used multiple times a month there is no need for it to sit around taking up space.

3 Likes

The shelves seem to be mostly filled with what I would call junk.

1 Like

Nicole: donā€™t know if this would be worth your time to pick up butā€¦free cubicle walls: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/zip/5741113644.html

1 Like

@uglyknees - you might want to look at this.

I took a look. Although this is great and would be a solution I would rather spend the money and do it well to create a finished out room. From the napkin quote I think itā€™s worth the associated costs to create the look and feel that we deserve.

I love that L-desk but I donā€™t have a truck not back to get it.

Thanks for being on the lookout guys! Keep it up!

1 Like

As any one talked to John Gorman

I talked to him about it on Saturday night. He heard me out but didnā€™t say yes to anything.

@talkers will you tell us how you feel? Give us your honest feedback please

As Iā€™ve previously mentioned on here, and to John, I am happy to donate my labor to help with improving the interactive classroom however I can.

1 Like

I think if it is not going to be used for RC, which was considered at one time, this is a perfect place for a dedicated photo editing suite with the computer, scanner, and large format printer. It will also be useful for the folks in Digital Media and will be available to everyone to use without interfering with the many ongoing activities in CA.

For example, on yesterday, Sunday, there was a period when between Leather SIG, other people doing sewing and other projects in CA ALL of the work table space was taken up, including use of the ironing board surface, concurrently there were folks using the tables in Purple classroom for some sort of fabric/sewing project and for a short period to members were doing cutting/layout work on the tables in the galley as that was all that was available (they moved back to CA when done cutting to do the sewing).

If this proposal is accepted it will allow CA to purchase two more of the standing work tables to put into the CA room greatly increasing work table space and reducing pressure to use other areas. Not infrequently there are a lot of people in CA working on projects - weā€™re a victim of success. a GOOD thing.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to suggest considering another sitting-height table instead. I was in CA for a while yesterday too (distracting the ongoing class with the Shapeoko). All of the ā€œsittingā€ tables were occupied with class(es), which is the norm. This meant that the people using the sewing machines were trying to figure out how to use the foot pedal while sitting on a tall stool or standing at the standing-height tables. Not the easiest thing to do ā€¦ It pretty much renders the sewing machines unusable.

Or ā€¦ as an alternate suggestion ā€¦ If we get another tall table, is there a way we can rig up some kind of a slide-in mount for the foot pedals to turn them into a knee pedal? Sewing machines in cabinets are routinely controlled with a knee pedal.

1 Like

Adjustable tables would be awesome. Several of my customers have them & itā€™s pretty neat to press a button to raise & lower the height at a push of a button.

Looks like that area is roughly 10ā€™x15ā€™, so we are currently paying ~$150 per month to store a bunch of stuff in that floor space (After rent, utilities, each square foot costs at least $1 / month)

Can someone take an inventory of currently what is in that area? (anything other than chairs, tables?) If we have more chairs than we have ever setup at once, who wants to go ahead and take those to offsite storage? (Moving stuff around is do-ocracyable, can always easily move stuff back if needed)

2 Likes

We need to have a discussion of keeping the white shelves or making the whole enclosure a wall.