Hear me out. Storage room transformed into a computer area

I might just burn my good deed cards here but I believe my request is solid, needed and logical for the space.
I’m proposing the following.

1. Purge the majority (and I do mean majority) of the items in the storage room located behind the white shelves in the interactive room.
  2. Repair the lights, install a camera and drops (not difficult because of the server room location)
  3. Build out a wall to section off that into an independent room - now utilizing the other door as the entrance and exit.
  4. Place the Adobe computer, Epson printer and Epson printer computer in that room in an organized and functional way creating a private/cleaner workspace for digital users.

Notes:

1. Based on my measurements I do believe the ever important passion filled item of the ping pong table could still be stored in that room.
  2. The vinyl computer/vinyl cutter would currently stay in the room to facilitate the dye sublimation printer/vinyl cutter/cameo software and embroidery software.
  3. You can’t move into the new by clinging onto the old. We must move into the mindset that things here can’t be fixed and we must open ourselves up to new ideas.
  4. I believe creative arts has proven itself to make thoughtful effective decisions in this space. I could get this project done quickly (I would need help building a wall) and I believe the end project would be a positive example.

Why:
The footprint of two desks serving computers is singular and serves only a few at a time larger work tables are needed to accommodate our growing classes and will serve more members needs for the creative arts room.
The current state of the storage isn’t designed for maximum function, is an eyesore, and could be utilized better to meet the needs of our members.
In the room created by the moving of the computers I see the ability to create at least one more workstation/table that would accommodate creative arts growing needs/allow for an independent work area for digital users and create a better workflow for everyone involved.

I did want to give the computers to digital arts at one time and the members of CA committee voted against it. For the record this isn’t that issue. We are simply talking about creating a workspace out of a underutilized room.

Discuss. Pictures for reference.

7 Likes

I don’t think that is a bad idea at all. Other than the table tennis i don’t think I’ve seen anything else move from that corner.
It would certainly free up a good chunk of real estate in creative arts.
Once I’m done building a trebuchet, i would be available to help with said wall if needed

Someone will have to figure out if fire sprinkler coverage is still valid with a wall there, or if an extra sprinkler would have to be installed.

Umm…I didn’t know that room was even there! With CA desperate for floorspace to accommodate classes and the general number of folks who randomly just hang out or work on projects in there, I think this a great solution. Would also like to see better utilization of the purple classroom as in pimping it’s availability as a space for folks to work on projects when not reserved for classes.

I’m totally on-board with this!!!

1 Like

Do it do it do it do it. I’ve been saying the same for a while now. Make that space into a room.

1 Like

Burn the witch!

Just kidding! Sounds like a good idea.

3 Likes

That’s the best graphic

Ok well I’ve put it up on the BofD meeting for discussion at the meeting. I was expecting more pushback but the day is young. I won’t be able to attend the meeting because of my sons bedtime but I’ve asked to be placed on speaker when the item comes up if it needs discussion.

Anyone know anyone who could produce a quote or two for finishing out that wall? or does anyone here have the ability to make one?

Flip the existing shelves around and you are already halfway done.

Nicole, I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but a wall like that is pretty easy and inexpensive to build…
Assume the width of the wall is 8’: $45 for metal studs; $70 for sheetrock; $10 for drywall compound; $25 for misc. (cause I always forget something, like paint). Wouldn’t take but a day to build - if the space was comfortable with an unpainted wall, would not have the mess of taping, bedding and painting.

Would cubicle walls be a solution, making it semi private but not really? See them occasionally for free on craigslist

1 Like

I think if it doesn’t go all the up to to roof, say no higher than the shelves in Interactive right now, we wouldn’t have a fire code issue as the sprinkler would be able to rain water into the area.

But that would make a nice digital work station with large format printer, computer with the screen and digital pen screen all one one place. A rack could be hung to store all the various rolls of paper etc. Sounds like a great idea and whoever is using it won’t be disturbed by all the other classes activities go on in the CA room. Shapeoko on one side and vinyl cutter or the other side - and everything else behind you going on.

1 Like

How difficult/expensive would it be to add a few (as in as many as we can get away with) electrical outlets to the wall - both low and a few at table level?

I’d talk to Stan or Alex Rhodes about electrical - my guess would be that is the expensive part…

I only have three thoughts/concerns for it to work well. I do think it’s a
good idea.

1. I would prefer that the printer (and if possible, the room) remain under
    the CA committee.

2. The new space will need enough room to be able to carefully remove large
    prints from the printer and it would be nice if there were enough clear
    tablespace in the room to be able to lay at least a 24x36 print out flat.
    This is a problem in the current location so I’m all for an improvement
    there.

3. A few deep shelves or even a cabinet to store paper (in boxes or rolls)
    would be really nice. In fact, building a cabinet with storage underneath
    that the printer could sit on top of would be ideal. Along the same lines,
    It may still be a good idea to make the computer station standing height
    and not on a desk.

-Steve Reeves

1 Like

I believe Nicole is talking about annexing this space FOR creative arts.

1 Like

Walter is correct, these would still be CA assets and responsible for their cost and maintenance.

Need to add camera to this area if this gets done.

I took a picture of the ceiling while I was there about 10. If the “wall” goes flat across where the recess is, there would be 2 fire sprinklers within about 2.5ft of the wall in the same room. The room would be about (counting ceiling tiles)7’x14’ with the thought of it being the recess sealed walled off. The issue might be outlets though. Didn’t look at what was available there already.