Having trouble with text from pdf

On thunderlaser. I import my pdf file into RDworks and the text does not show. I imported the file into inkscape, saved the text as curves and RDworks freezes on import. Any advice?

box from inkscape.pdf (345.4 KB)

Here is the actual file I am using

Two of the text fields are still typestyles:
The Winston Churchill quote and the Commemoration text.

However, something is wrong with your image dimensions. This is what opens in Acrobat:

When I opened in Adobe Illustrator, I could get the box edges, but the other art is still truncated. What shows here as type with a pink background is the text that is not converted to curves, btw.

Tomorrow afternoon (Saturday at 3) is the Laser Committee meeting followed by our monthly laser cleaning/servicing. If you can come to help out at that, when we finish, you’ll have a bunch of laser smartypants and smartypants-wannabes that can probably help you out.

Grrrr, I would love to come today but already have a family commitment. I built the original model in Corel 8. I will try to rebuild in inkscape and see if it renders correctly. Am going to be at the makerspace tomorrow AM for a class, will try again. Thanks for the response.

As for the image “size” … it looks to me like one of your programs used a default “sheet” size instead of sizing to your actual image. Having never used Corel, I’m assuming that you opened Inkscape and imported the Corel image (that would be similar to the process for other images).

After importing the image;

1. Select all the objects
  2. Menu - File / Document Properties / (or Shift + Ctrl + D)
  3. Click through to expand “Resize page to content” and
  4. Select “Resize page to drawing or selection”.

It will make your inkscape document size match your image.

File / Document Properties

Resize Page to Content

Resulting image

The default Inkscape size is letter-sized paper. The images above show one of my files that is much larger than that. If I don’t change the Inkscape document size like I described above, I will end up with a cropped image just like you have.

1 Like