Having trouble on a wood shop project!

So last december i attempted to make a chessboard for a familly member for christmas, I failed miserably. i am now on my third attempt and actually managed to correctly line up and glue my squares, but now i cant figure out how to get the surface (relavtively) smooth. most of the chips and height differences are sub 1/4". it was suggested i use the drum sander to smooth it out with a whole bunch of passes, but i can get the sander to run. everytime i turn on the drum rotation it immeadiately shuts off. can someone help me operate it or help me with ideas on how to get the surface smoother. i tried an orbital sander but i dont have the time to spend tens of hours wearing the material away, i typically get only 4 hours a week to come her due to my distance and jobs.

On the drum sander make sure you turn it completely off, and turn the feed speed off until it clicks off. Flip the main power switch, and start the feed slowly, then push the button for the sander. Sometimes it’s finicky and I have to do that twice to get it to work.
Other option is to flatten on the CNC Multicam if you are trained.

2 Likes

A really simple jig can be used with a handheld router https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SDvKHcL5M
I have built and used several over the years

1 Like

That idea is so simple but perfect that it’s completely brilliant! However I have no clue where we keep our router or how to use it. :frowning:

Router is right by the Delta table saw, or right in front of it and there should be a rolling cart with a ton of bits near it. Basically walk in the door from the workshop and go straight. Can’t help on how to use though I’ve yet to give DMS one a try

That’s the router table. For the router sled for flattening you need a handheld router and you need to make a sled.

1 Like

Yeah, I totally missed the handheld part, I don’t do mornings very well. I’m sure there’s one floating around somewhere but I’ve never seen it

Oddly enough Nick Offerman actually has a really awesome sled to do this with huge slabs, he’s got some neat yt tours of his shop. Back on topic though, if you need an extra pair of eyes on something I’m happy to try and help sometime

1 Like

i know we have a handheld router i just dont know where its at.

It should be in one of large drawers under the miter saw. We have two hand held routers. A porter cable and a Triton.

2 Likes