Having trouble hearing? Try the Ear Machine iPhone app (free)

Pro Tip, I cleaned my IEMs with a folded piece of fishing line dipped in peroxide. Peroxide softened the wax enough to scrape out, plus it didn’t harm your ears if some was left on the IEMs.

1 Like

It’s the curse of the early adopter who arrives before the tech. I know the feeling well.

Hopefully, you won’t have to wait much longer.

1 Like

I understand the inherent problem with earplugs pulling out wax - that’s kind of the nature of sealing the ear. It’s the market’s insistence on tight-sealing earbuds that annoys. Unless the product is designed to act as some sort of hybrid (i.e. such the Woods Walker product or in-ear stage monitors for stage musicians), routinely pulling out ear wax is a persistent design flaw in my view.

In the future there is a website for issues like your’s Erik, http://gophergripes.com/
Just another way to send those little gripes somewhere.

Also, I don’t really understand your gripe. It seems you want an earbud that doesn’t seal to your ear canal or provide isolation. They already make that in over the ear headphones. Also if you don’t like the strap messing with your hair, they have options that clip on to the ear.

These are my favorite, though I have only tried them, I do not own a pair.

I’ve got a pair of these:

They work well enough and address the retention failings of conventional non-sealing earbuds - ala the pack-in earbuds on pretty much every portable media device - but can’t seal the ear canal. Only they’re ~$80 and I don’t relish replacing them when the battery inevitably expires. The diversity of similar products is markedly worse than the in-ear variety the rest of the market seemingly can’t get enough of - along with Murine and Debrox I guess.

I’m familiar with the genre.

I’ve owned a pair of these for ~20 years:

… and a set of these for some ~5 years:

But the 3.5mm jack is disappearing from phones and bluetooth audio isn’t a fully satisfactory replacement. The latter pair accepts a 3.5mm line-in cable which sounds markedly better than bluetooth streaming; a bluetooth receiver/amplifier for the Sony’s would be a waste.

1 Like

These are my fave over the ear for a moderate cost,

What is nice is that these are super robust and you can get a Bluetooth wireless adapter as well.

Also, you can increase the comfort and isolation drastically by upgrading the ear cups to these memory foam ear cups.

Your out about $200 at this point, but you have an amazing setup for nearly endless headphone scenarios and this is pretty much a buy once cry once scenario. Plus, this is one of the most supported headphones in the industry and will likely live on for generations. Much like the Sony’s you listed.

1 Like

You do get some sound from behind your ears as well. My son tends to hear somethings better when they are behind the ear.

He goes to an audiologist once a year for a check up, they almost always want to do more surgery but my insurance sucks & doesn’t cover that stuff.

2 Likes