Has anyone purchased something with a seized auto title?

@kpblitzen42 and I are looking to buy a class c rv to wander, roam, cuss about, fuss over, and have some form of middle America suburban dirt and sun adventure with the kiddo while the rest of the world goes covid crazy…something inexpensive with the intent of running around for two years and selling it at the end of that timeline at an acceptable loss - either taking a deep dive into a grander one or selling it off and ditching the dream for something else…or possibly it will be an apocalypse all terrain solar powered vehicle…who knows how this pendulum will swing in two years.

We’ve found one- we’ve found an independent mechanic to look it over…Blah blah blah yadda yadda details no one cares about. It seems spot on. Yes. Seems. I know. I know.

Just wondering of the unknown pearls of wisdom I’m unaware of/what to look out for/if it’s a treasure trove of misery or if it’s a good way to grab the ring of a dream for a low down price.

Rv horror and wonder stories welcome along with baby animal pictures as responses.

1 Like

Can’t help on the RV. But here is my dog.

5 Likes

Can you describe the title situation in a bit more detail?

More detail on title status would help. If it is a storage lien, I hear it greatly helps if you reside in the same county as the lien holder, and you experience may depend on how experienced and helpful the lien holder is.

If it is something that is more in the bonded title path, be aware that in an apparent attempt to prevent the process from being used fraudulently, the county tax office agents appear to be instructed not to assist with how the paperwork needs to be filled out, and simply to instruct you that they can’t process your request, rather than tell you what is filled out wrong. I know someone who went through many hoops dealing with a $1500 trailer. Including places that wouldn’t appraise the trailer without a title. Places that claimed they could appraise, but weren’t aware of the forms the appraisal had to be submitted on. A trip to the regional DPS inspector that turned out not to be necessary, and at least 3 extra visits to the tax office and DMV. And with that, you get a bonded title that you for most purposes can’t sell for the next three years.

1 Like

That sounds like the biggest red flag. Hassles with titling sound like par for the course, but golden handcuffs on resale timing might be a bigger deal.

The few times I’ve looked into bonded titles I’ve concluded that they’re just not worth it unless

• You’re willing and able to walk away from the vehicle and all money associated with it if things go sideways
  • You won’t be depending on the vehicle as a daily driver or other critical use
  • You’re damned certain that no skeletons are going to emerge from closets WRT the vehicle and all people involved in its past

In the interest of helping, here’s some derpy dogs

2 Likes

I’ve had several bonded titles in the past. With technology these days, they’re pretty safe and that’s what the bond is for.

1 Like

The organization selling the vehicle should have a title for the vehicle. If they don’t have a title for the vehicle then the auction listing should indicate that (in which case a bonded title would be needed). If you do a check on the VIN number then the seizure should appear on the history and they likely have a title for it. If the seizure doesn’t appear on the history then they probably don’t have a title for it.

1 Like

A friend of mine bought a 1969 Mustang with only a Bill of Sale and no title for $500. That was a good price for it’s condition at that time. He made the mistake of not getting a new title at that time. He waited a few years after he sunk a lot of money in it for restoration before he tried to get the title. The car was now worth $30K, not the $500 he originally paid for it. Besides paying more taxes he had a very hard time proving it was the same car. So, get the title fixed before you invest additional money in the car.

That’s good to know. I’ve had thoughts of inexpensive project cars that might involve bonded titles and the cautionary tales I read put me off the idea.

Yeah those tales are from yesteryear. Most mechanics leins, repos, stolen cars, etc are digital these days. The bonded title just means there was a break in the chain or the state you’re trying to get the vehicle titled in doesn’t have a way to look up it’s history.

I bought a 1970 Chevelle in a Texas barn that hadn’t been registered in the 10 or so years that it lived in Texas. The 10 year old Illinois title meant that Texas couldn’t easily verify seller, vehicle, whatever. I got a good deal on a barn find 70 chevelle, knowing that I would have title problems. The bonding company typed the VIN in and 30 seconds later wanted payment. They had the paperwork signed, notarized and I was out the door in just a few minutes.

Long story short, I use the title problems as a negotiation point knowing it’s going to cost me some extra time and 200 bucks. As long as you factor in the additional work and it’s still a good deal, I wouldn’t let it be the only thing that stopped me.

On the other hand, if I sensed some shady stuff was going on, like an untitled Bentley that I was getting for a steal :cough: John Wiley Price :cough: I wouldn’t walk away, I would run.

1 Like

Alright wellllll turns out it was a scam.
Google earth and my suspicious “this can’t work” way of thinking are the rv-less winners of the night.

I’m running into it left and right. Lots and lots of garbage humans trying to separate dolla dolla from the coffer.
Thank all of you for the insight today! This hive is my very favorite of all hives.

Finding an rv is the first hurdle…everyone Is searching for one right now…the second hurdle is finding a camping site.

They opened up state parks yesterday and had 18,000 bookings…in…a…day. Everyone is searching out safe things to make memories.

Anyways, stay safe. Kiss the babies. Blah blah blah. Sell me your camper. See everyone soon.

3 Likes