Has anyone built a drum sander (stumpy nubs version or similar)?

Has anyone built a drum sander (stumpy nubs version or similar)? How did it turn out?

The Stumpy nubs version can be found here:

Also - Anyone know of a place in DFW that sells used 1hp or 1.5hp electric motors? Craigs list doesn’t have any.

1 Like

I built this one and it work pretty good.

https://woodgears.ca/sander/plans/index.html

2 Likes

On the contrary: Craigslist often has 1+ HP motors disguised as treadmills, often for free.

6 Likes

You’d have to have some form of engineering and custom part manufacturing experience to make it work but there’s been talk about converting a simple table top planer into one but just switching out the cutter head for a sanding drum, and installing a simple belt feed system underneath but again it’s not a Job for just anybody to make it work and make it work safley

Continuing the discussion from Has anyone built a drum sander (stumpy nubs version or similar)?:

This motor is free on Craigslist now I don’t know if it will work for you but it’s free

It seems to me that many garage door opener motors are designed as intermittent duty motors. They only expect to be run a limited number of 15 second cycles per hour, and they design cooling down to that.

2 Likes

That make sense!

These aren’t craigslist cheap, but they are a reputable company that I have bought a few motors from. Last one for my homebuilt edge sander.

Company: Electric Motor Wholesale

It uses their part# 110088 - Leeson 1HP 1PH 1725 RPM Farm Duty Motor (i.e. rated for continuous use) which I wired for 120v. It was $269.

3 Likes

@dondomzalski
That is stunningly beautiful work. You even laminated the work surface.

Thanks! This looks great. I’m still looking, hoping to find a used 1 HP for $50-$100. They pop up on craigs list but either they are too far away or I’m too slow. If not I’ll probably end up with the Leeson or similar. I’m not in a hurry.

You might also be able to use an old electric scooter motor. I’m looking at them to a pottery wheel

1 Like